Smoky Hill River Fishing in Kansas

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Tros, May 24, 2009.

1. Tros

Tros New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hi, this is my first post. I have been a bass fishing, and panfish fishing enthusiast for years, and have only recently become interested in catfish. Like any other sort of fish species, I have enjoyed reading up on what it takes to catch quality fish.

With my interest leaning towards catfish, I have opened up my mind to river fishing. I have not river fished since I was a kid, and am looking for quality fishing locally. I live in Saline County, and was born and raised in both Saline and Ottawa County. I am looking for rivers with potential good fishing and am curious about what I can expect from accessible parts of the Smoky Hill River.

Thanks in advance!

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    when i was younger and didnt know how we got there my cousins would take me to a place out in the middle of nowhere on the smokie hill and we caught alot of nice channel cat and several flatties on limblines that were 20plus pounds. its good night fishing. just find a place without alot of fishing pressure and you will be ok. ill have to go with ya one of these days

3. toolmaan

toolmaan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Is this Tros from MCUSA??

Welcome to the BOC!

4. Tros

Tros New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yes sir, the one and only. Apparently the internet is a small world. :tounge_out:

5. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC! I am fairly new here too and this site is the best!

6. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
    trios welcome to the boc. i live in salina and regularly visit the river . spent the last two eves out there only cought one flat around 3#

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Welcome to the BOC Chris..

8. duane kingsbury

duane kingsbury New Member

State:
    kansas
    there are alot of good fishing for cats on the smoky, below salina there are many river bridges with easy access from the sides. it really gets good where the solomon and the smoky met because the saline comes in just above that. give a hollar some time and we'll go for a nite on the river. duane

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    This is a good site for a fella trying to get into catfishing. Look through
    the Article Library and it will give you a lot of good ideas on many
    subjects of interest to all fishermen as well as the single species or
    specimen large cat fishermen. If you got time, come to a gathering
    to mix with the local brothers. Big one comming up first weekend of
    June at Melvern Res. on Hwy 75 in the eastern part of the state.

10. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I've fished the smokey a few times with my girlfriend's brother, he lives in Junction city. There are some good spots right around the 77 hwy bridge. But we have better luck back in the creeks in that area, specifically Lyons.