smoking wild pork question

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by Poppa, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I am smoking a ham off a 250 lb. wild hog for thanksgiving. I have smoked
    lots of pork but I am kind of conserned about the meat being so lean. It
    does not have very much fat. I cut the outside fat off when I skinned it.
    Do you all do anything different on wild hog verses bought pork? I just
    don't want it to be dry.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    You will need to bast it with something if you cut the out side fat off or it will be dry. It will be dryer than a commerical ham because it hasn't been injected with any thing. When my Grand Dad smoked the hams ,he put them in a shallow pan with a little water in the smoker.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    it definatly will be dryer., i agree with Dirtdobber. make sure you got some water in there. the last one we did i got out the cajun injector and tryed to put some liquid in it to offset the dryness

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    NW,its too late now,But I would suggest bringing it ,It makes a world of difference in the moisture content and the flavor.Typically meat should be brined before smoking for 1 hr per pound of weight,usually at least 12 hrs anyway. Hope it turns out good anyway.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i make steak, chops, and chili/stew meat out of the hams, but i do smoke the shoulders. like you, i also trim every bit of fat off any meat. aside from the marinating, i don't baste the meat at all, except sometimes i will use the injector. a shoulder takes 2-3 hours to finish and i have never had one come out dry except on time i fell asleep and let one go for several hours. don't do that.

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Thanks for your posts guys. I injected the ham with a cajun and butter
    mix and then just water mixed with a little salt. I smoked it for two
    hours with smoke and then wrapped it in aluminum foil for about
    four hours never letting it get over 300. I kept a close watch on it
    and as soon as it got 170 degrees around the bone I pulled it off.
    The meat thermometer said 160 for pork but I went 170. The ham
    was delicious. It was at the slicing stage, I was afraid to try to go
    for the pull-a-part stage as I would with a bought shoulder.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS

damn, you're making me hungry! i hope i get some more hogs when i go out tomorrow!

8. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. Guys, I help a good friend who has a BBQ ministry, he feeds the homeless, etc. I've worked with him for several years and learned a lot about slow smoking large cuts of meat from wild hogs, venison, etc. Here's the biggest thing that will make or break the flavor and texture.
    DON'T OVERSMOKE THE MEAT.. We ALWAYS use heavy duty foil, place the cut of meat on the foil and season well with your favorite dry seasoning/rub... Now, pour the smoke to the meat for 1.5 hours. NOW, if the meat has little or no fat, put on some bbq sauce and wrap TIGHTLY. Allow a big chunk of meat to SLOW smoke at 200 to 225 degrees for at least ten hours. Unwrap the meat and it will fall off the bone. Then, you can chop the meat, reseason and add fresh bbq sauce. Hope this helps, it works for us EVERY time.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Poppa, this is also how I do my larger hams. as mentioned use heavy duty aluminum foil. Form a bowl around it, pour a beer or some water in with it and smoke uncovered for NO MORE THAN 2 HOURS, then tightly wrap and smoke for an additional 4 to 6 hours. My target temp is usually 250 for the 7 to 10 hours depending on how big the ham is.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130623

10. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've never heard of anyone trimming the fat off of a wild hog. They usually don't have enough as it is. A deer , yes, but a hog no.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If you folks have never brined your meat to smoke, you're missing out on a whole new world of delicious:wink:

12. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here's the deal. Wild pork is by nature drier (less fat) and a bit tougher (wild hogs have to work for a living)... ALWAYS cook wild pork with moisture. I smoke it for about an hour heavy smoke, then wrap foil and add bbq sauce or.. inject cuts with injectable marinade. Let it cook at 200 or so for several hours, wrapped in foil. I GURANTEE you it will be fall off the bone tender and tasty after about 12 hours at low temperature. I've cooked a TON of wild pork and this always works for me. For a bit more info, go to www.catfishradio.com and click READ LUKES NEWSPAPER ARTICLE... more details here. Good cooking luke clayton