Smoking while fishing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by drcatfish14, Feb 22, 2007.

1. drcatfish14

drcatfish14 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I am a smoker and always wondered if the smell of the smoke on my hands and then getting on my bait will chase fish off

2. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    You'll probably get varing reports on this but if it did effect the fishing there wouldn't be smokers catching any fish. Might catch more if it does however. Nah. I don't think it does.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    if your not catching fish its something other than smoking , i know cause iv gone all day without that smoke to see if it made a difference , it dont .

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can build a house from sand if you try hard enough.
    Its easy to over think a situation. Its easy to to think so much that it makes what you are thinking about not fun anymore.

Cigarette smoke may affect catfish like it does deer. Run them off?
    Heck no, you know how many cigarettes have been laid down hunting out of a 20 foot high lock on to shoot a deer 10 yards away? When I smoked I smoked in the stand. One of the most memorable moments was flicking ashes on a doe below me.
    Now if you can kill deer while smoking you surely can catch catfish, the same catfish that will eat virtually anything in a river including excreto and clam shells and the same catfish that will bite those vile skunk smelling commercial baits.:big_smile:

Keep it simple.

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    WTG Mark...Nuff said. Done the same things with deer...even puffed and puffed to make more smoke. Didn't phase em a bit.

6. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I never had any troubles with it. when i smoked of course.

7. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    You can't see it in the picture but I had a cigrattee when i caught that hog in the picture.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've caught plenty of them while smoking but now that I've quit I haven't even got a bite.Not a nibble,run or nothing.I haven't been fishing yet since I quit though,maybe the reason...:roll_eyes: Hopefully I'll catch my new PB this year being a non-smoker.

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I haven't caught anything either, or been in a boat fishing since.
    You don't suppose cigs make you want to fish? Naa.
    Come to think of it the river is froze up here and thats why I ain't been fishing.:smile2: John whats your excuse?:confused2:

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I tried to go yesterday but the ponds I went to were frozen.I'm plannin on going Fri or Sat. to the Greenup locks & dam if it works out right.I'll be stuck on the bank though,no boat. :( :cross:

11. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey at least you have liquid water you can cast out to. :big_smile:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    thats exactly right!!! :smile2:

13. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Like most, I don't think smoking makes any differance with fish. Also like Mark said, the biggest deer I've killed, Ten pointer with 23" spread that I had to put my cig down to shoot it and that day I wasn't even in my treestand.

14. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Smokin makes the catfish stay on the hook becasue they think that the water is on fire so they try to get out of it.
    Thats my answer anyways.

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    You would think it would but I fish with non smokers and we catch the same most of the time.
    Bill

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    The only smoke I like to see while fishing is from my drag or fire!:big_smile: