Smoking catfish

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by River Hobo, Aug 27, 2007.

1. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Any one do this? I often smoke trout and bluefish. I was just wondering if any one has smoked catfish and how it turned out. I'd hate to waste the time it takes to smoke a fish and more importantly, I'd hate to waste a perfectly good catfish if this isn't a good way to cook it.

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hi Mike,
    I've smoked the smaller ones whole with the skin and head removed. There were great eating.
    Bill

3. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I like to make a mixture of 2 tbs of worcestershire sauce and 3 tbs of butter. Easy on the salt and pepper. Slather over fillets and grill.

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i tried smoking catfish once but it made me cough too much:smile2:

5. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, and it's tuff to keep lite :smile2:

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    How did you get it rolled up in the papers?? Hahaha!!:happy: Sorry, we're getting off subject here...
    My husband put a couple of big fillets on the smoker; they were delicious!! Put a little seasoning of your choice...MmmmMmmhh!!
    Smoked bream fillets are also good....yep, bream fillets!!

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Phil doesn't use paper. He stuffs his in a pipe. A little greasy, but he has a lot of napkins. He is too old for that bong and paper stuff. He looks more distinguished with a pipe. Hand carved out of deer horn.

But on a more serious note here (heheh) smoked cats are good. My brother will smoke 100-200 trout, cats, and carp every year. You have to watch the seasoning, and wood choice is very important. He does his in a converted refrigerator set over blocks and a fire pit. John

8. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    My favorite is smoked mullet and we do a lot of them around here.

Roxie: Whats that "waterpuppys" name in your picture?

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Eeks! Sorry, but that "waterpuppy" was no longer alive:eek:oooh: when his picture was made! A friend of ours drew an alligator tag last summer; he & his wife came by the house that morning for some "picture taking", so of course, I had to get in one of the pictures.:wink:(Sorry if that disappoints you!)

10. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Originally Posted by pythonjohn [​IMG] I saw this and thought some of you might enjoy looking at this.
    Just kinda ramblin!
    Enjoy! :smile2:
    http://community-2.webtv.net/karenlp...SEE/index.html
    Roxie,
    I kinda knew that the gator wasn't with us anymore by the way you were holdin it.
    No it dosen 't dissapoint me, as a matter of fact I thought it was a great pitcure of you and the little "Waterpuppie"
    Go to the above site and see what gators are all about about.
    This one stayed close to it food source.
    You should have seen a picture of its mother !:eek:oooh:
    COME TO FLORIDA FOR YOUR GATOR TAGS ! :wink:

:smile2:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mike I try to smoke a few cats during the summer I season mine with lemon/pepper and smoke with apricot wood ,They aint bad.

12. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I love some lemon pepper on my smoked trout. I usually use wild cherry since my yard is filled with it.

13. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    PythonJohn...what awesome pictures! That gator is huuuugggeee!! And, what a "wad" of snakes....talk about nightmares!! Wooohoo!

14. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Smoked catfish is great , i've never did flathead they are to good fried .
    1cup coarse salt , 1gal cold well water ( no treated water) optional, 1cup brown sugar, onion & garlic to taste, soak overnight , Take 1 1/2inch ,cleaned and steaked catfish with skin on ,pat dry or better yet fan dry,spray racks with pam , some lightly on fish to, fish should have a glazed look,--Get smoker going I use hickery or fruit woods,I have a propane smoker, it is important to give the fish the heavyest smoke the first hour,try to keep temp. at 225 deg. wet hickery sawdust helps with the heavy smoke.
    My setup takes about 3-4 hours . Beer is a condiment !!fresh buttered rye bread fits in real good .

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Never tried smoking catfish, but I've made fish jerky with them. Cut the fillets into pieces just like you would venison or beef, soak in your favorite marinade overnight, drain, pat dry, then jerk them just like you would venison or beef. The longer you leave the fish in the marinade, the more marinade taste it picks up...of course. Making fish jerky is basically just like making any other kind of jerky. And like other types of jerky, it keeps a very long time without refrigeration.

16. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Use small catfish. Clean remove heads. Marinate in pickling salt and brown sugar. Put on smoker. Enjoy