Smoking Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by waterwalker, Mar 16, 2006.

1. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Just wondering if anyone has tried to smoke carp fillets...I usually release
    the ones I catch. I have eaten carp but it seems a bit strong...maybe it
    can be smoked like salmon. Let me know your thoughts and a brine recipes
    if you have any.

2. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I have never smoked a carp (or any other fish for that matter) before. I have tried on several occasions but I can never keep them lit.:rolleyes:

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Also,make sure to remove all the bones or they will poke thru the paper! :)

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have fillet them for some people when I got a bunch of them bowfishing. What part of Ohio are you in?

5. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I live in the Louisville area, N E Ohio.

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    U better watch out for that mudvaine...(how ever spelt). I hear thats why most dont eat them is because all the bones and the mud in them.. mud makes them taste like.. well mud.. lol post results :)

7. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I haven't yet, but plan to experiment this spring. We catch a ton of big asians on the missi (20 -45lbs) and the meat is good. This spring I hope to work on marinades and smoking time for these. I had a friend years ago who was great at smoking carp. He left the meat moist (not cardboard dry) and the marinade made the meat delicious. We ate it on crackers in small portions to avoid bones. Some people also pressure cook the meat to can it with liquid smoke as this softens the bones and gives it a salmon like taste. Another local smokes carp with a salt rub, but I think that his is too dry for my taste. Any thoughts on marinades: soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, etc? Hannibal Mike