Smokin a ham?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by calogan, Dec 3, 2009.

1. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a large ham we got when we butchered a pig(not sure how big, but big) and I'm thinking about smoking it for Christmas. Any suggestions? Thanks!

p.s. I pretty new to smoking. I've smoked pork chops and our Thanksgiving turkey, both of which turned out great:big_smile: but thats it.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Curt,Do you know if it has been cured? if not ,Heres my suggestion,Weigh the ham,then make a general brine and soak the ham [completely submerged} for approx 1 hr /lb,then smoke at 225-250* for approx 1 hr/lb.

If the ham has been cured you can omit the brine process,smoke at the above temps for about 2-4 hrs,cover with foil and cook for the rest of the desired time. The optimum temp I believe is 170-180* for doneness.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good point rich. if it isnt cured it will just be smoked pork. still good though. just wont have the salty ham flavor.

you can make a good rub for it. mix 2 cups brown sugar with some spices. like garlic salt, crushed red pepper, salt , paprika, ect.. mix a little in to taste. watch the salt. mix some in 1 tsp at a time. coat before smoking. some commercial ones are available as well.

you can also make a wet mop for it to hit it with while smoking. pork does well with a sweet one. mix up 1/2 quart of apple juice with cup of orange juice. add a cup of maple syrup. then if ya wish add a few spoons full of minced garlic or powder. brush on every 30-40 min while smoking. a spoon of say sauce can add some flavor too.

if you have an injector needle you can shoot some of the mop into it as well.

i second richard on the temps as well. internal temp of 170-180 is in the guidlines for pork.

i like to lay a few full pineapple slices on my pork before smoking. the fruit carmelizes on the meat and looks good when serving and adds sweet flavor as well.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  4. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I took a look at it and it says its a cured ham roast. Thanks guys, your advice will come in very handy, and tasty!