Smokey River

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by wantingthebigone, Mar 14, 2006.

1. wantingthebigone

wantingthebigone New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Does anyone fish the Smokey River here in Kansas?

2. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Member

State:
    Milford, Kansas
    Yeah i fish the smokey hill river in the Abilene/Chapman Area...its got some good fishing in it if you know where to find the holes. Durning the summer it gets so low that most of it is about a 1ft to 2 ft deep but there are plenty of holes and plenty of big fish in it....if you want to catch a lot of fish catch the river when it is rising after a big storm or something....I dont know where your at but i live in Chapman and i know that if Salina Gets a big rain it takes about 3 days for the river to come up over here...and that the time to hit it but if you get there to late and the river is going down you can pretty much forget it

3. 600lbs

600lbs New Member

State:
    gardner kansas
    were is that located by? sounds like a trip

4. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Member

State:
    Milford, Kansas
    The Smokey Hill river runs from like the Colorado border with Kansas to Junction City where it and the Republican join to make the Kansas River. Out west there isnt much of a River. Kanopolis Lake is a lake formed by a dam on the Smokey Hill. Theres some good fishing over by salina from what i hear and then around abilene there some

5. wantingthebigone

wantingthebigone New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i hit the smokey river just outside lindsborg and there its a bad location or something. because the river is never up lol. we just hit it when ever the biggest i have ever caught off of it is a 25. and its the only hole above my knees its mayb 5 feet deep. thats in alot of river, it usually takes us 2 hours to check our lines because their so spread out through holes and stuff. you know of any other good spots in the lindsborg area. im actually from the mac area but i fish the smokey alot.

6. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Member

State:
    Milford, Kansas
    your lines dont always have to be put in the holes just where ever you can find some log/brush pile thats where i set most my lines i have a couple of holes around here that i set lines in but must fish come out of the brush piles dont have to have deep water around them those big cats come up in the shallows at night to do some feeding....i don't know anything about the smokey hill over around Lindsborg

7. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Back about 50 yrs ago (LOL) when I was a kid there were some BIG log jams that collected every year around Chapman there was a old Iron Bridge there we use to fish around it an the jam my Dad took several 50+ flats out of that area.
    Loop

8. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Member

State:
    Milford, Kansas
    SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! loop there aren't any big fish around Chapman Area....and the metal bridge your talking about is to the West of Chapman a couple miles before Enterprise??? or are you talking about where there is no bridge any more only the remains and they built a new concrete one thats been there since before i got her like 29 yrs ago?(right on the South Side of town?) Theres still a few big log jams around but we havent had any good high water in a couple of years so we not getting to many good jams any more...I hope this year we get some good high water this year....

9. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    We use to live in a big two story house on the corner one block from the main street on the highway.We would walk across the tracks thru a field behind a grain elevator the iron bridge was across a feeder creek.There was always a huge log jam there we use to walk it an fish down thru the holes an set lines off it.
    Loop

10. Flathead Hunter

Flathead Hunter New Member

State:
    Manhattan, KS
    I haven't gotten a chance to fish the smokey hill yet, but I go to KSU out here, and I work in manhattan in the summer. So I would love to go out sometime, if anyone wants to?

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Eric, the bridge Loop is talking about is probably the one South of town, it was metal before they replaced it with the new one, but I think it's only been like maybe 15 years ago, if that long. And it definitely had some good logjams up against it. Have you ever fished Chapman Creek? I know some guys that do, and they pull out some real hefty Flats out of it. Every once in awhile, they'll catch a good size Channel too, 10lbs+.

12. Flathead Hunter

Flathead Hunter New Member

State:
    Manhattan, KS
    Wantingthebigone, like I said I'm def interested if anyone wants to give it a whirl.