Smokey Hill

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by breadboy, Jul 11, 2006.

1. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anybody fish this river?

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Never heard of it until this thread.

3. Catfish Quiver

Catfish Quiver Member

State:
    Ks, w, edg
    Smokey hill and Republican join at junction city to make the kaw. smokey hill comes just south of 1-70 from west, don't fish it but it takes a lot of walking hole to hole if you don't know it, there are some big ones caught though.

4. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My dad's family has farm land there outside of Chapman, he used to catch 40 pound flatheads using big goldfish, carp, bullheads, basically big baits. Yep, when we go its kinda like mountain climbing lol, you have to be very agile/athletic to get to the shore, erosion has made it VERY steep, at least where we fish. We shore fish, boat fishing is too much of a hassle, plus the laws are a bit complicated. You have to own the land to fish in most spots, thats probably why not too many people fish there.

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Kyle, right now the Smoky is pretty low, be hard to even launch and float flatbottom in most places. Chapman creek is pretty low too, I'm sure there's a few holes with some water, if a guy knows where they are I imagine you could catch some fish, unless they moved down to the Smoky when the water level started dropping.

6. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Fished smoky last evening, nothing serious. Climbed down to the bank with a dozen nightcrawlers and a spinning outfit for about 30 minutes, caught a drum and a catfish, both around 2-3 pounds. The weather was so hot, I climbed back up, and we went home.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    The lake was pretty slow the last evening too, lots of fish marking, just none eating. Wind was dead still so we didn't do much drifting. MDspoula and his son Christian were with me.

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yeah, I saw some carp, buffalo and gar surfacing to the surface, but didn't catch none of those. probably wanted something else (something I didn't have :tounge_out: ).

9. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    You would not catch me on the lake today!
    It's HOT HOT HOT!!!!!

10. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I hear you Chris. I lose interest pretty quickly in this oppressive heat. come on September!!!

11. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    and October, November, December, January and February when one can dress to stay comfortable on the water. Just ain't no way for me to stay confortable in this heat in the day time.

12. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    tommorow till whenever I want to go back to NC, will be in the middle of Milford, better get some sunblock :crazy: ...

13. PARATROOPER

PARATROOPER New Member

State:
    Waynesville, IL
    I fished the Smokey hill river a couple times earlier this year just down from Junction City / Grandview Plaza. It was so low that I walked close to a mile of it without going over my knees. I have caught alot of nice Flatheads out of the Kansas River where the smokey dumps in though...

PARATROOPER