smokercraft or bass tracker

Discussion in 'Boating' started by gamedog357, Sep 7, 2008.

1. gamedog357

gamedog357 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I sold my motorcycle so now I have the extra cash to buy a fishing boat. I am looking at a 85 smokercraft 16 ft 50 hpdeep v rigged for trolling and a 87 16 bass tracker 35 hp both are in good condition. I want something safe and easy to fish out of. I fish most med to large lakes and occasional river. Both have depth/fish finder clear titles and trailer. which would make the best longterm rig for my first boat.

2. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I can only tell you that I chose a tracker with a 15hp 4stroke. It has 24 inch sides because I fish tha Ark river. I would venture to say that those high sides and the welded body may have saved us a couple of times in VERY rough water. I personally dont like a Vee shape hull, but thats gonna be a personal choice.
    I am not in a hurry and dont travel a lot of distance when fishing, so that will affect your choice too.
    If it was me, weight would be a big factor.

3. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I'll let guys who are familiar with the differences in these two boats give you the best advice. In reading your situation, it sounds like you have a good problem to have. Good Luck!

4. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    If it was my choice I would go with the deep v because you said big lakes and they will handle rough water much better than a tracker(jon boat).
    Good Luck with whatever you get!!!

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Don't get impatient! I would check Craig's list and other sources EVERY day until I found a STEAL. Both boats mentioned are good boats, but I would not pursue either for catfishin'. Get something WIDE and as long as you can. There should be NO COMPROMISE on SPACE for COMFORTABLE fishin'. Remember, the economy is terrible and STEALS ARE out there! Cash is king right now! The hunt is half the fun!
    Bill in SC

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I'm partial to the Tracker boats because I own one.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

7. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Jason, I would get the one thats the widest or the one with the most room in it.Those boats with all the fancy rod storage and storage compartments are nice,but when you load up a bait tank,cooler,and other gear ,room/space is king.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Jason, I would get the one thats the widest or the one with the most room in it.Those boats with all the fancy rod storage and storage compartments are nice,but when you load up a bait tank,cooler,and other gear ,room/space is king.>

That's what I'm screamin'!
    BB in SC

9. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I agree. If you are going to fish big water go with a deep vee. You won't regret it.

I also agree with Bill. In SC this is the time of year that people are starting to sell and if you are patient you may come across a hella deal. Good luck!

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bought my Carolina Skiff on the coldest day in February. Guy dropped the price NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS! Paid 2 K for a J-16 with a 25 hp engine, and trailer. I'm on the prowl for a 20 footer now. Might take me six months, but I'll find a steal!!!!!!
    BB in SC