Smokeless or BP Muzzle Loaders??

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by riddleofsteel, Nov 9, 2007.

1. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    While I do enjoy nostalgia as well as the next guy I am primarily a shooter, hunter, and fisherman. Well over 100 years ago people wiser than me decided that black powder was out of date and needed replacement. Smokeless powder made from nitrocellulose is the ORIGINAL black powder replacement. It was a revolution in shooting technology back when it came out and it still is.

I have a T/C Renegade that is pushing 25 years old now. I started out shooting it with patch balls, conicals, Miracle Lube (Bore Butter), and Goex BP. Later I had to convert to Pyrodex due to market availability. When I retired it I was shooting Pyrodex Select, plastic sabots and pistol bullets. Nothing was left of tradition except the scrubbing of nasty corrosive gunk out of my rifle. During that time I developed the procedures I listed in my post. Keeping ahead of rust is a job I do not like. My son has inherited this rifle and the constant hassle of scrubbing and rust control.

Then 17 years ago a friend of mine was injured when the vent screw in his Lyman Trade rifle gave way due to internal thread rust and entered his forearm. He is a master gunsmith and a machinist by trade. Henry and his son Bill Ball decided that the world of muzzle loading needed to catch up to the rest of the 20th century and go smokeless and rust less. He converted a Interarms Mini Mauser bolt action into a smokeless muzzle loader that fired AA 5744, a 209 shotgun primer, a 300 grain Hornady XTP HP, and a MMP sabot. Over the next few years he quietly built rifles for friends and customers. When Savage finally bought rights to his patent history was made. For the first time in history consumers were able to purchase a true smokeless muzzle loader. The Savage 10 ML II is the most powerful, safest and most heavily tested muzzle loader on the market today and the ONLY commercially available smokeless muzzle loader you can buy.

Sure you can shoot BP or BP replica powder, or BP subsitutes out of your inline or even your Savage 10 ML II. You can get good velocity, accuracy and performance from such powders but as for me I have better things to do with my time than to spend it scrubbing corrosive crap out of my rifle. Stuff like scouting, fishing, camping, ect, ect.

:wink:

2. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Just a counter point Riddle.

Why reinvent the wheel? Smokeless powder has been around for years, so if you like it shoot it.........plenty of cartridges sizes/types available.

Why the smokeless muzzleloader..........simple..........to get modern riflelike performance during the muzzleloader season, make it easier. We can all get ourselves worked up with "what is primitive" or "look at the compound" or "it gets more people in the woods", that horse has been beat to death on here. It's all about making success easier . Heaven forbid someone might actually have to be challenged with burden of harvesting game with less than what technology can produce.

I could care less what the Jones are using as long as it is legal. Sometimes I think the processes involved with the sport are just as important as the successes(harvest). Silly me:big_smile:

Takes about 20 minutes to clean my sidelock...........life's still there when I'm done:wink:

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I hear you brother.

Some like to noodle for catfish, some like rod and reel, some like the newest line and circle hooks.

Me I have always Liked the best and most efficient in hunting and fishing. I guess that is why there are so many different products. Different strokes for different folks.

:smile2:

4. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I had a muzzle loader accident several years ago. it was one of the first inline rifles made, the threads were rusted around the nipple and when I shot the nipple flew out of the rifle and hit me square in the forehead, 1" above my right eye..when I got up off the ground I actually thought some one had hit me with a length of water pipe..I dug the nipple out and actually threw the gun it the trash..

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Rust is the bane of the BP, Pyrodex, Triple 7, shooter. Without eternal vigilance it will quietly destroy most muzzleloaders and make them junk at best, deathtraps at the worst.

6. mattman58

mattman58 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I started shooting smokeless in Ohio due to shotgun only laws moved to NC and would rather shoot my savage instead of my 7mm got to love them