Smoked Food

Discussion in 'BOC Member Cookbook' started by Whistler, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Sandris Rutmanis(Growler)

If you are using a hot smoker or water smoker,
    heres what I like to do with ribs, (I usually use Babybacks) I make up a rub, 1 cup of whatever salty seasonings you like to 2 cups white sugar.(I like some of it to be a BBQ seasoning, and some Lowrey's) But instead of rubbing it on dry, I rub some olive oil on the ribs, then put on the rub, it will make a paste like substance, I wrap em up for 12 hours, let it soak in.
    The sugar adds a sweet taste, but more importantly mellows out the salty flavor while letting the salt brine the meat.
    I cook them in 2 stages, first, throw them on the smoker for 5 hours at 225 degrees, medium heavy smoke for the first 2 hours, light smoke for 3. After that I wrap the ribs in foil, and wrap that tight in cooking film. (Reynolds cooking film, like saran wrap, but good to 450 degrees)Put them back on for 3 more hours. The cooking film will work like a pressure cooker if you wrap it right, and the ribs will be fallin off of the bone moist and juicy.
    If you like them with BBQ sauce, brush it on lightly before you wrap them, too much and it will be soup.
    Used this to get 3rd a few years ago at the Kansas State Championship.

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Tony Letson(Frostywhiskers)
    Tea Smoked Catfish & Frog Legs

Marinading is an ideal method to enhance flavor in meats. They may be something as
    simple as peppers and oil. But may be as complex as a strong Greek marinade.

For this dish, the marinade is Teriyaki. You can buy prepared marinades but I don’t
    think thy’re as good.

Teriyaki Marinade:
    Teriyaki is a sauce and marinade that is a cross culture creation. The combination of
    Japanese and South Pacific influence brought about this sauce. I will provide you with 2
    ways of making the sauce.

.. Classic Teriyaki:
    .. 1/4 cup of brown sugar
    .. 1/4 cup of soy sauce (I suggest a dark Kikomansoy)
    .. 1/4 cup Nori (nori is a toasted sea weed)
    .. 1/4 cup light desert wine (you can use portuguese blush, spatzlaser & chardiney blend,
    or the classic sherry) note: If you use sherry do not use cooking sherry (to much sodium)
    .. drizzle of light sesame oil
    .. 1/4 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
    Blend all ingredients in a standard marinade bowl

.. Easy Teriyaki:
    .. 1/4 cup brown sugar
    .. 1.3 cup soy sauce
    .. 1/4 cup of nori if you can get it.
    Blend in marinade bowl

Place filets and legs in prepared marinade.
    After marinading the filets and legs in Teriyaki for about 6 hours, drain and place in the
    tea smoker.
    To make a tea smoker you will need the following:

..1 large wok w/lid
    ..enough heavy duty aluminum foil to line the wok and have excees to cover after ther lid
    is applied
    ..1 suspension rack (ring style racks used with woks)
    ..1 direct heat source (a single burner camp stove is great)

Ingredients for the Tea Smoke:

A slight caution: Smoking is designed to accent flavors already existing in meats. Some
    times those flavors are undesirable, such as bitter, overly tart. Tea smoke is an oriental
    style of smoking meats designed to enhance the flavors while adding, to them, other
    desirable flavors. Tart, sweet, and hot are the flavor additions to these meats .
    Marinades are the other way of enhancing and adding flavor to your meat dishes.

.. 1/4 cup of brown sugar
    .. 1-5 Thai fingers ( an extremely hot Thai chili pepper)
    .. 1/4 cup of orange & black pekoe tea (standard loose tea from lipton's will work)
    .. Optional ingredients:
    ......garlic
    ......onions
    ......black pepper
    ......lemon and/or orange zest ( thinly shredded skin or peel of the fruit)

To use a Tea Smoker do the following:

.. Line the inside of the wok with the aluminum foil. Be sure to allow enough excess to
    completely cover the lid when applied.
    .. Blend all of the smoking ingredients
    .. Place all of the smoke ingredients into the lined wok.
    .. place the ring into the wok.
    .. place drained legs onto the ring.
    .. cover with lid.
    .. fold aluminum foil over the lid and twist to form a seal at the top center.
    .. Place wok on the burner, outdoors.
    .. Allow the smoke to work for 20-30min. You may see a thin stream of smoke coming
    from the twist seal, which is good.
    .. Remove the wok from the heat source, and allow to rest and cool down.
    .. Uncover, remove the legs and place in a container that has a cover.
    .. Place enough oil over the legs to coat well( I use Olive Oil, the purpose of the oil is to
    offer some moisture for the meats and act as a preserving agent).
    .. Cover the container and place in refridgerator for a minimum of 24 hours to rest.
    .. remove legs, allow to come to room temp and enjoy.

This type of smoking is great for chicken and duck, also.

A little note: This type of smoking creates a very rich flavor. if you use the meats as a
    meat course, be sure to have basic vegatables, and rice, or pasta. I would serve with baby
    zuccini, and crooked neck squash, baby onions, cherry tomatoes skewered and lightly
    grilled, and a short grain steamed rice.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    BRINE: ULTIMATE BRINE FOR TURKEY Master Recipe

1 1/2 cups, Kosher salt** **See notes below regarding amount of salt and types of salt.

1 1/4 cups, brown sugar

10 whole cloves

3 teaspoons, black peppercorns

1 1/2 gallons (6 quarts) apple juice or cider (non-alcoholic)

the peel from one orange or one tangerine (colored part only - not white pith) optional:

3 teaspoons, dried thyme and/or 3 teaspoons, dried sage

Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive pot, bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes (partly covered). Allow brine to cool completely. Rinse turkey under cool running water, inside and out (remove giblets from body cavity). Pat turkey dry with paper towels, then immerse turkey in cooled brine.* Turkey should be completely submerged in liquid (place a plate on top of the bird if necessary to keep it covered with the liquid). Cover the pot and refrigerate for 8-10 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove turkey, rinse, pat dry, and roast as usual. *Be sure the container used for brining turkey is non-reactive: use enamel, glass or crockery or stainless steel - never cast iron or aluminum. The pot should be just large enough to contain the turkey (so the brine will be sufficient to cover the bird).

** NOTE REGARDING THE AMOUNT OF SALT IN BRINE: A milder brine may be made, which may have a less flavorful result – but if salt is a concern (the entire turkey will absorb only 10-15% of the brine) the amount of salt may be reduced. For the desired chemical effect to take place, however, the proportions cannot be less than 2/3 to 1 cup of salt per gallon (4 quarts) of water or other liquid. **TYPES OF SALT: Kosher salt is the ONLY type of salt to be used in making brine (it is sweeter and more pure than ordinary table salt). Kosher salt is available in two varieties. The most common is flaked salt (example: Morton Kosher Salt) which has been pressed into flakes by rollers. The other type is a four-sided crystal (example: Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt). The crystal-shaped salt measures differently because of its shape. Use about 25% (one quarter) MORE crystal salt than flaked salt when measuring for brine or other recipes. The formula is: 1 tablespoon of regular table salt is equivalent to 1 ½ tablespoons flaked kosher salt, or 2 tablespoons, diamond crystal kosher salt.

4. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    I have smoked and canned a lot of Salmon and few other types of fish and I will share with you what I do. First I want to say that there is several ways to brine your fish before smoking. There is a wet brine method and a dry brine method. I by far like the dry brine method the best.

Recipe for Dry Brine I use.
    • 3 cups of Brown sugar
    • 1 cup of Non Iodized salt
    • 2 teaspoons of white pepper
    • 2 teaspoons of Onion powder
    • 2 teaspoons of Garlic powder
    • Mix all together well
    I take the fish and wash really good in clean water. Then one by one I coat both sides with the dry brine and put them in a Big roasting Pan. Put in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours. I usually do that at night before bedtime. The next morning you will see that the brine has removed a lot of the water out of the fish and the fish will be almost cover with this liquid. Take the fish one at a time and rinse off with clean water and towel dry them and place them on the counter for at least an hour. You will notice within an hour or so that the surface of the fish cases over. By that I mean it will have shiney look and has a skin type surface.

Now take your fish and put them in a smoker and smoke them with what ever type of chips you prefer, Fruit wood, Hickory, Alder, or mesquite chips all work well. smoke them until they are done and tender. The fish will be tastey and to die for.

The fish should be kept in the fridge when done and will last for a week or so. If you want to keep them longer, triple the salt in the above brine recipe. But they will taste a lot more salty. The above brine recipe has no real salty taste. If you have any questions, PM me.

Enjoy:

Gene

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My recipe is just a little different.
    1. Cook hot sausage, crumbling it into very small pieces while cooking.
    2. Mix 1# of sausage with 2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese and heat in microwave till slightly soft and gooey.
    3. Stuff the peppers with this mixture.
    4. Wrap the peppers with turkey bacon (it cooks faster than regular bacon).

This is a modification of a recipe I got from 4-Low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.