Smoked fish

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Mac-b, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I received a gift certicate to Gander Mtn. and I am thinking about getting a smoker. Electric, gas , etc., which is best? Also, anybody got any suggestions on what to put on the fish as it relates to spices, salt, pepper, etc. Or if this has been covered somewhere else, let me know. Thanks

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mac, I have one that uses propane or charcoal, and it has served me well for a number of years. If I were getting a new one, I would probably do the same thing, except that I would opt for stainless steel. Haven't used the electric models, but I'm sure they would work just fine. I never have smoked fish, though. A couple of my friends do it, and it's really good, although I don't think they've ever smoked catfish. There are some really nice ones on the market these days, for sure. I think mine is by Masterbuilt or something like that.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mac, I have a masterbuilt electric, that works realy well. Digital controls, very easy to set time and temp. Couple handfulls of wood chips and your ready to go.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have a propane smoker and it works great. The electrics work great too, only reason I didnt go with one of them was for camping and places there may not be electricity. The charcoal are too hard to regulate the heat. I use cajun injector type marinades and what ever spices I happen to decide on. McCormicks makes all kinds of diff. ones depending on your taste. Good luck with the new smoker. I use mine for everything. One of the best things I ever bought...

5. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    I have smoked and canned a lot of Salmon and few other types of fish and I will share with you what I do. First I want to say that there is several ways to brine your fish before smoking. There is a wet brine method and a dry brine method. I by far like the dry brine method the best.

Recipe for Dry Brine I use.
    • 3 cups of Brown sugar
    • 1 cup of Non Iodized salt
    • 2 teaspoons of white pepper
    • 2 teaspoons of Onion powder
    • 2 teaspoons of Garlic powder
    • Mix all together well
    I take the fish and wash really good in clean water. Then one by one I coat both sides with the dry brine and put them in a Big roasting Pan. Put in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours. I usually do that at night before bedtime. The next morning you will see that the brine has removed a lot of the water out of the fish and the fish will be almost cover with this liquid. Take the fish one at a time and rinse off with clean water and towel dry them and place them on the counter for at least an hour. You will notice within an hour or so that the surface of the fish cases over. By that I mean it will have shiney look and has a skin type surface.

Now take your fish and put them in a smoker and smoke them with what ever type of chips you prefer, Fruit wood, Hickory, Alder, or mesquite chips all work well. smoke them until they are done and tender. The fish will be tastey and to die for.

The fish should be kept in the fridge when done and will last for a week or so. If you want to keep them longer, triple the salt in the above brine recipe. But they will taste a lot more salty. The above brine recipe has no real salty taste. If you have any questions, PM me.

Enjoy:

Gene

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Gene Is Telling You Straight!!! That will be a Good Un.
    J.D.

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks guys for the info. on different type smokers. I went to Gander Mtn. yesterday and got me an electric BrickHouse smoker and cured it out yesterday afternoon. I will most likely try it out this weekend with some chicken or beef ribs. Did not buy me any wood chips, thinking that some would come with the unit, wrong.

I don't think I will try catfish in the smoker due to the type of meat that the cats has (density), but most likely will do a whole striper, which is similar to salmon in texture. But first, I need to go back to Gander Mtn. and get me some chips.

The instruction book tells you a lot of things, except how long to do beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc. It gives the interior meat temp. for these items, but no estimated cooking time. Guess I will have to use the SWAG system on time.

PS, one of my buddies got one for Christmas and he cured his in his garage with the doors closed. Also, he put chips in for the curing process, which the instructions says not to do. Must say, he has a fine smelling garage now! No more dead fish smell now.

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Cooked my first pork ribs in my smoker and man were they good. After they were almost done, I put some barbecue suace on them and wrap then in alum. foil and slow cooked them for thirty more minutes. Family is heading out to the beach tomorrow and all I have got to do is fish and play with my smoker. Chicken, beef and pork loin will all be cooked Saturday and Sunday and them vacuum sealed and frozen for future meals. Thanks for all the advice you guys offered on this thread and thru PM's.

9. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    That's great news, Mac. What time do you want me to show up for "din din"??:big_smile::wink:

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Mac Mc, anytime bro. Only problem is, you will not want to go back home to mama's cooking!:wink:

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I use a charcoal smoker since I can use it for bbqing also. sorry Im at work so I dont have the brine recipe on me.

12. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    you may want to re think smoking stripper as it does not have much oil like salmon, trout , stergon, or catfish. i would strongly suggest using alder as my first choice for wood, followed by various fruit woods. hickory, pecan, mesquite, etc is a bit strong for fish according to most peoples taste.