Smoked Ciscoes

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by DWB, Jan 21, 2010.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well after my bait run last week to CC I got to looking at the SkipJack and something seemed familiar to me but I could not put my thumb on it. Then all of a sudden this afternoon it came to me. You see, I was born and raised in Duluth, Minnesota. One of my favorite local foods up there was smoked fish--particularly whitefish and ciscoes.

I got to thinking, these Skipjack look an awful lot like a cisco. Well sure as sheet I get to checking on the internet and lo and behold skipjack ARE cisco. I'll be dammed, as I thought those fish were only found on the lakes up north.

Well, you know where I am going from here. I'm going to aim to recreate a little of my north woods heritige right here in Missouri. I have planned another trip down to CC in search of fresh cisco--the frozen ones in my bait freezer just will not do.

Once caught I will clean, brine and smoke those little suckers and see if they are as good as I remember! Stay tuned as I will have a full report of my bait-smoking endeavors afterwords.

You can take the boy outta northern Minnesota but you can;t take the northern Minnesota outta the boy!

I'm interested to hear if any of you have tried to smoke cisco...or any other fish for that matter. I am a novice at this smoking game. So much so in that I don't even own a smoker. That soon will be rectified though as once I set my mind to something it just can not be stopped. By this week end I will have built or bought a smoker!

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Are you SURE skippies are Ciscoes????? Let's hope so! LOL!!!!!

And all this time I have been wasting my left over bait at the end of the day!! Now I can eat it! :Nop:

3. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dan, I used to smoke rainbow trout. I recall you gotta brine em first overnight in canning salt and water with the skin and head still on. After they're smoked, I'd skin and debone em. The brining is so they'll absorb the smoke. Then my electric smoker crapped out and haven't done it for several years.

Rainbow trout wasn't bad...bait...don't know.

4. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    One of my buddies dad used to smoke skipjack or mooneye whatever they were they caught them at bagnell. I like to smoke white bass. I do not brine them they take the smoke good.

5. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
  6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
  7. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Dan...I don't think it's the same fish....oh my stomach is turning! Good luck buddy...

8. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I'm thinking that Skips are in the herrining family if that is true Iwouldn't see why they couldn't be smoked.
    Loop

9. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Down here in SE Mo we smoke anything that we can roll. Doesn't the paper get slimy?

10. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well sheet, perhaps they are not the exact same thing...but both in the herring family nonetheless so I'm thinking there won't be tooooo mu difference. Besides, I can see it now...snacking on smoked herring while fishing with herring! Gotta eat like a cat to think like a cat!

I bought the materials this morning to build a trashcan smoker (details to follow).