Smoked Catfish (is not jerky)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfish Fever, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's some pics of todays efforts smoking some Channelcats that me and Catfish Quiver accomplished. My method is to soak the cut up Cat meat into about 2" squares, soak it in a brine made up of a couple different kinds of liquid and a variety of spices. I soak the meat in it overnight, then smoke it over either cherry or apple wood chips. Actually any kind of fruit wood chips are good. I have tried hickory and mesquite, I think they're to strong for fish though. Couple of more pics in the next post.

Attached Files:

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    How long do you smoke them for ?

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's a couple of more pics during the process. The jugs not quite full, yet. I weighd out ten pounds of fish one time, before I smoked it, when I weighed it after smoking it weighed in at just a tad over 2.5lbs.

Attached Files:

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's some pics of how the smoked stuff started out. I'll let them soak for a couple of days in plain well water, then overnight in my brine. The Bluecat was just filleted for barbecuing, the Channels are cut up for smoking, this is an SOP for me.

Attached Files:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ok, so if you're not leaving them in the sun long enough to jerk them, do you have to refrigerate the finished product?

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Man that makes my mouth water. I cant wait to start smoking. I love all fish smoked.

7. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    What liquid is used for your brine? I have never had smoked fish and think I'm going to try it this year.

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Jim,

The only thing I see you doing wrong is MY name is not on that jug of smoked catfish!!! LOL. Sure looks good.

9. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Looks like your on the right track, maybe I'll give it a try, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Scott, mostly it depends on the outside temperature when I'm using my smoker, and electric Brinkman, When the temps hot, 90's, about 4-5 hours, this time we used Jeralds gas heated smoker and it only took 2.5 hours as we could turn the heat up.

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jerry, sorry if I misled you with the pictures, I didn't include any of the smoker we used. As I explained in the previous post, it took a couple of hours in a gas smoker. It doesn't have to be refrigerated when finished. I do keep mine in the fridge in a jug though. It doesn't get "tough" like jerky, it's moist and tender.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark, the main liquid is water, then I just add a few different things to enhance the flavor.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Chris, far as I'm concerned, the name on the jug is the "RIGHT" one, heh, heh, heh.:p

14. kdawgg222

kdawgg222 New Member

State:
    Washington
    Never even thought of smoking cats. Sound wonderful though, think I'll have to try it. I usually just pan fry it with salsa and butter. The salsa gives it a spice.

15. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Jim ya got tell us the ingredients to yer brine solution?

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    [quote= My method is to soak the cut up Cat meat into about 2" squares, soak it in a brine made up of a couple different kinds of liquid and a variety of spices.

Man, That's pretty vague Jim, you plan on marketing that stuff, or are you going to share. :0a10: lol

17. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Looks mighty good Jim.:)

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Jim, that definitely looks interesting. I'll have to give it a try. I've eaten 'hot-smoked' fish before, but that's basically slow cooking with plenty of smoke. It's good, but requires that the fish be eated or refrigerated, or it will spoil. I would think that soaking it in the brine would act as a preserative.

19. Catfish Quiver

Catfish Quiver Member

State:
    Ks, w, edg
    The finished product is tasty, good luck on getting the recipe, he won't even let me smell the jar.

20. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I'm sitting here drooling all over my key board.
    I've had some of Jims smoked catfish an it's great!!!!!!
    He needs to start packaging it an selling it it's better than jerky.
    Loop