Smoked Cabbage

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Boomer, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I do a lot of smoking when I am home. One of my favorites is smoke cabbage. I always fix ribs and meat, but was looking for a way to cook veggies along with it.

Here is how I do it.

take a head of cabbage and hollow out a spot in the center (not where the stalk is) make it to where it will hold about a cup.

Take a pound of sausage and cook it down to small pieces. Drain it and save the meat.

Pour the the sausage grease in the hollow, and place in smoker.

Some people like their cabbage soft, some like it more solid. I like mine soft, as it smokes it becomes softer, and the grease will go between the leaves. When you get it to the desire softness, place some cheese of your choice on it and let it smoke about an hour longer, take out and add sausage meat in the hollow and and in the plate.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I'm gonna try that. I love cabbage but never ate it smoked. Thanks!!

3. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    That sounds alright right there. Do you use a real low temp? And on average how long would you say for it to be nice and soft?

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I cook it on grill but only used butter. I'll give this a try, sure sounds good.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I sweat mine in foil with butter all the timeon the grill,Thanks Gary ,I gotta try this one .

6. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I cook mine about 4-5 hours depending on size over about 225 heat. Just depends on the size of the cabbage.

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    sounds good i love cabbage it gets the ol innards to workin :big_smile: :cool2:

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I like to quater the heads of cabbage, and simmer it with abunch of smoked turkey necks(or smoke meat of your choice). After the cabbage meal, I get the majority of the meat off the necks, dice any left over cabbage and cook it down into a nice soup(add what evexin I've got kickin' around). The wife will not come near me if I have a couple bowls of cabbage soup......probably a good move on her part. I'll have to experiment with your method. Think I can do the taters this way too?

Richard

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Got it copied. Gonna have to try it soon here.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh yeah, I see this in my future. Where's the vinegar? lol:big_smile:

11. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Will have to try that on my new Traeger. Smoked cabbage and ribs sound really good now. Thaqnks!