Smoked baby Catfish

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catfish Fever, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's a batch of "baby" smoked Catfish I made yesterday. They're all under a pound. Normally, I just keep the bigger Cat's, over 2lbs to cut up for smoking, under lbs were released. One day we were fishing, all we were catching was these small one's, under a pound. I figured what the heck, I'll keep 6 and see how they'd come out smoked whole, after gutting and skinning of course, they are just plain delicious, or so I'm told, I liken too. I soak them in my regular brine overnight, like the pieces, smoke's the same way, in a cherry/apple wood smoke. They take about 4 to 5 hours. I posted a pic once before, just thought I'd do it again. Hope everyone had a nice Independence day, we had an inch of rain:roll_eyes:.

Attached Files:

2. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
    Those catfish are looking really good considering I have not had breakfast yet.

3. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Boy I bet those were good, We need some of that rain send it over this way.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I like to smoke the smaller fish also.
    The ones that are under 1 lb work great. I brine mine for three days. Then smoke.:big_smile:
    Looks like they have been fried. And I have had people that did not like a fish if it was not fried. Loved them smoked.
    Thanks for the picture.
    Pete

5. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Would those of you who smoke cats care to share what the recipe is for your brine? I for one would appreciate it!

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Jim, those look great!! I know they taste great if they have the same flavor as your peices,yum.

I gave up on smoked catfish, never could get the brine right.........to dang salty. I'm pretty happy sticking with a very smoky 'grilled" catfish.

I got qualified for that Cabela's Tournament this fall on Milford, so will be heading that way to learn the lake a bit. Will be sure and give you a holler when I'm heading that way.

Was in Wamego for the 4th, got the rain there also.

7. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    I to have been saving up some little ones to smoke and would like to have the brine info.

4-5 hours seems like a long time for little cats. What temp do you hold at?

8. Unckle Jesse

Unckle Jesse New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hi yall:smile2: im new here and this looked like the right place for me to start. The smoked catfish sounds awesome I would Like to have the brine recipe too.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Looks tastey, thanks for sharing Jim.

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Hey Tom, good to see you again. If it was up to me, I'd send you every drop of rain we're supposed to get:smile2:, I've had enough for the rest of the year, I think the farmer's around here have too! I think I have your address, I'll see what I can do about getting you and Laura a couple of them:wink:

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Charlie, that's great, I'll be looking forward to seeing you again. Did you meet up with MDspoula(Matt) when you were in Wamego? Why would you travel so far to go THERE anyway:smile2:?

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Michael, I try to keep it right at 200deg. Since I got my new smoker, propane, it's a lot easier than with the old electric Brinkman I had. I like the slow method, doesn't seem to dry them out so much. Also, I keep constant smoke going.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Hey Matt, (and family of course), I'll try to remember to pm you tomorrow, better yet, send me your phone number!

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    As for the brine recipe, it's no secret, just some of this and that, just what ever suits your taste buds. I generally soak mine overnight (24hrs), unless something comes up the next day, then they'll soak till tomorrow. Thank you all for your compliments.