Smoke free

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Dave L, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well I just wanted to let others know that I have been smoke free for 4 whole days now. I know it don't seem like a very long time, but I have been smoking for 25 years at a pack to a pack and a half a day.
    I am already starting to breath easyier and I feel way more energetic.
    I am on a new pill program that is working real well, I have no cravings what so ever.
    I will tell you I have tried every stop smoking method before, and none work, this stuff does and with no side affects. I would suggest anyone wanting to quit to go see the doctor and get a perscription of Chantix.
    My insurance did not cover the cost and it was not cheap $110, though that is what I was spending on smokes for two to three weeks.
    It is a one month program with the option of a second month, which I think I will take just to make sure the cravings don't come back.
    I just thought I would share this with all and let you know there is still hope for us addicts.:smile2:

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    well keep up the good work. I know it is hard but it can be done I quit 2 years ago and you really does make you feel alot better plus the money you save is unreal

3. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I want to look into chantix, Im fairly strong willed but last time I tried to quit I got some kind of weird short term memory loss :lol: and pinch of moodiness:crazy:

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Funny, I had the same thing.:lol:

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    QUOTE "My insurance did not cover the cost and it was not cheap $110"
    And yet they would pay for treatments for lung cancer, emphysema or any of the other illnesses caused by smoking.
    I will never understand insurance companies.
    Good luck with your quitting...W

6. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    congrats david keep it up i have been smoke free for two weeks now going to a friends house for some drinks tonight will see if i can resist smoking while having a few

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congradulations Brother, anytime I hear of someone throwing the smokes away I rejoice. I lost my brother-in-law back in 2002 due to Lung Cancer from smoking ever since he was a young teen. He was only 47.So throw em down and never pick em up again. I have seen cancer and it's horrible what it does to the human body!:crazy:

8. chattycatty

chattycatty New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm so glad for you. I hope you're able to keep up the good fight. Smoking is such an unhealthy habit and so expensive. Idea: Everytime you want a cigarette, put a quarter in a jar. You'll be surprised how fast it will accumulate. I know I wish I had a quarter for every cigarette my husband smokes... I'd probably have enough for a vacation next summer!:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:
    I know how hard it is and I'm very proud of you.

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Good luck to ya buddy. Hope you can kick the habit. No it is not easy by no means and 4 days is a big deal for ya. Just think of all the new gear you can buy with the money you are saving.

10. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yeah I already have a little something in mind, its called River Pro.:smile2:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats brother Ilost my dad on christmas day 99 from COPD and ive seen how cigarettes make you starve for breathyou may have added many years to your life good luck

12. MealsOnReels

MealsOnReels New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good On You Dave!
    I too smoked about 2 packs a day for 35 years and in two days it will be
    five months. My last one was walking into the hospital emergency room.
    I came out 9 days later with five bypass heart surgery. If I had known I would of made my last cigarette a Marlboro instead of a cheap brand.:smile2:
    Has it been easy? No, at times it is really hard but it is not impossible either. When I hit six months I am going to reward myself with a new rod and reel.
    Good Luck and keep us informed,
    MealsOnReels

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I quit in June 06 cold turkey after 25 years. Everytime I was at a place that sold them I was very tempted but fought the temptation. I still don't know how I did it. Best thing I ever did.

14. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i quit last night. i havent had one all day. and trust me its very tempting. sooo very very tempting. tomorrow is going to be the hardest b/c everyone smokes at school.

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i never heard of chantix must be new , i have taken welbutrin but didnt care for the side effects it would make you happy and you wouldnt crave anything even sex . il have to try chantix . let us know if you experience any side effects in a few more days ok , i really need to quit smoking im killing myself and mabel and the kids

16. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on making the decision to stop smoking and making it to day 4, Dave! I really don't understand why people smoke in the first place because, number one, cigarettes taste awful! Smoking cigarettes is the same as licking the bottom of your bait bucket...ewwwwwww. Personally, I don't smoke because I know that ever since day one, cigarette manufacturers deliberately put additives in cigarettes that are addicting...they make you crave more and more...just so they can make money off you! Thats just wrong! And the costs of a pack of cigarettes is outrageous...and I hear they are suppose to go up a buck a pack in Jan of next year...who can afford that?
    I've seen aot of people die from cigarette smoking too..not just old folks...but many young ones as well. So your decision to quit is nothing but smart and healthy! I've attached some pics to help keep your motivation levels high! Quitting smoking can immediately show improvement on your lungs! Check this out...... lungs.jpg Good luck and keep up the good work!

17. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Tracey,

Thanks for the reminder, I have known a few that died as well. The memories of those help motivate me as well.

Just to let every one know I'm still smoke free and intend to be from here on out.:smile2:

18. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota

It is new, my wife read a small article in the inqiuer and we looked into it.
    You would think they would put something as important as that on the front page in a big article.

I tried the welbutrin/zyban it made me forget things after a while, also.

Chuck you should give it a try, at least do it for the kids. It will probably make your new framing job easyier also.

19. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats Dave! I am right with you brother.

I have to say after trying Welbutrin, patches, nicorette gum, cold turkey, etc. and being unsuccessful, the Chantix pills are the way to go!

The first two mornings I found some craving there but since then its been a breeze to leave the smokes alone.

We have stopped Dave and more importantly, we can now STAY SMOKE FREE! :smile2:

20. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Barb thats wonderful, Isn't it great being smoke free.:smile2:

I am to the point that if this don't work nothing will, and they will kill us.

Funny thing is I have been reaching for my front shirt pocket and lighter for all those years, and I don't find my self doing that at all any more.
    It is almost as if I have never smoked. I am sure I am free, cause that was half the addiction.

Good luck sis, if you ever feel the urge PM me or somebody, just do something and forget about it.