SML Flatheads

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JPritch, Jan 8, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I would like to start targeting flatheads this coming up year. When would be a good time to start? And where should I start? The VDGIF website says the upper reaches of the Roanoke Arm. Does this still hold true?

SML is pretty close to me, but I've never fished it b/c of what I hear about the rec traffic. But I'm hoping this spring to go after work on weekdays and fish nights to avoid the crowds and hopefully get into some nice flatheads that I hear the lake holds.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't know about Smith Mountain however, I went to a catfishing seminar at Greentops in Richmond that Mike Osterlander conducted 6-7 years ago. Mike who is a guiding maniac who knows his stuff said Flatheads bite good from Memorial Day thru the Worlds Series in late Sept. Any time outside that is basically a rare catch. So fat chance of getting the lake to yourself during primo flathead time unless you are fishing at night. (Make sure your stern light works or a drunk will run over top of you while anchored. Over here in Richmond Smith Mountain has a reputation for drunken boaters.:embarassed:

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the info Kenneth.

Unfortunately, that reputation is not limited to Richmond. The news of that drunk guy slamming into the house boat and killing the couple a few years back is still fresh on alot of people's minds.

I'm gonna at least give it a try and see how it goes. Trying to find good cat waters closer to home. I've been fishing the James exclusively since the summer, but those 2.5 hour trips are killing me. Buggs is hot, but also a 2 hour drive.

4. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah, it kills me that long 25 minute drive to Deep Botton or heaven forbid 15 minutes to Anacarrow for spring shad and spawning James River Stripers. :wink:

5. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    jpritch,it was last year if ya'll remember!If your fishing it for flats you won't be in the traffic you'll be in the rivers!If your going to fish for flats you need to be in the dan or sattton,where's it's all good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1bigblue:cool2:

6. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    paraguayguy I guess It's all good if you like fishing in POLLUTED WATERS,thats just not my thing and many other peoples opinion! 1bigblue:cool2:

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I also saw that about upper roanoke river side to catch flats. I've fished Smith Mountain for years and have actually caught more and bigger flats, channels, and blues from mid lake area around state park and scruggs. During the week boat traffic isn't too bad at night, but be careful. I've started fishing Claytor lake alot more because it's not crowded and the flathead and hybrid fishing is great. Also caught several 10# plus channels there.
    Chip
    Chip

8. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Whose eating them anyway. I know I'm not. Last I checked just about every stream in VA is loaded up with gosh knows what that's not good for you. The Staunton is so full of PCPs down Clover way the water supposedly glows at night. Don't even want to think about our poor ols Shenandoah. Unfortunate but we have lived here 400 years and left one heck of a foot print. Good fishing though! :big_smile:

9. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I drive by the Annabelle Lee area all the time, is'nt Anacarrow just accross from there? I'd just like to catch some fish in general since I don't seem to be having much luck with the catfish. The pier at Osbourne Boat landing has been less than satifactory as well as the Four Mile Creek at Deep Bottom Park.Can you fish from the pier at Deep Bottom? I know there are signs that say "no fishing" but some people have mentioned you can on the weekdays just not the weekends.Any ideas?

10. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    As far as I know you can't fish from the dock that divides the two ramps but the pier just down from the ramp, I see folks fishing all the time. I give left over shad to people fishing there as I am coming off the river. Sometimes they are having good luck, other times not so great. I look on my fishfinder everytime I come back to the ramp and nine times out of ten that pool in front of the dock is loaded up with fish.

You are correct. Anacarrow is across from the Anabel Lee. Great fishing there in the spring. I saw one of the state's fish biologists down there 3-4 years ago. He told me the Bluecat was one of the only catfish in the world that actually schools like sardines or stripers. In the spring when the shad come up to Richmond to spawn, He told me the bluecats by the thousands follow the spawning shad. I know nothing about that but there have been days in early April at the peak of the shad run where hanging a couple of catfish poles off the back of the jon, I have caught fish as fast as I can rebait. My brother and I filled a 120 qt cooler in three hours with nice 1-3 lb cats. I don't eat em but brother took them to a firestation that was doing a fish fry to raise money. So far as I know, nobody turned blue and died from eating them.

Good luck

11. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    we eat them but not from there,I have 4 boys and try to teach them don't kill it unless you eat it,3 hour trip there I better get something from there,a 60lb fish ain't nothing but a pic,I can do that at buggs! ya'll james river fisherman need to come to a reel lake and let it take you back to your roots! 1bigblue:cool2:

12. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    We catch some nice flatties from spring to around Sept. in the rivers @ Buggs. spring time is usually strong for flatties and blues @ the mouth of the Dan River then they really move up through South Boston to Danville. I usually fish above Sobo through the hot part of summer, I think that is when they are spawning, but good flathead and blue fishing in the river all summer. I'll post more on the flatties when spring gets here.

13. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    and thats with no condoms,or tampaxes floating around you! like in the JAMES (that shit is just nasty) 1bigblue:cool2:

14. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Please, Please, Please spread the word how bad the James is:smile2:. More fish for me and the locals to catch and not have to share with outsiders.

I hate the James......Its is soooooooo polluted, that is why Hickory Shad are so thick you can walk across there backs in the Spring. American Shad are coming back Strong. Spawning Ocean Stripers up to 45 pounds are caught each Spring. Bald eagles are sitting in every other tree. Ospreys are as common as robins. Otters frolic in the shallows, Darn Beavers keep cutting down trees making places for Crappie and Flatheads to hide. In the three mile section through Richmond on the fall line in the summer the guides regularly have 10 fish days on the flatties and last I checked the James Rules the whole USA in numbers of 4 pound plus smallmouth bass caught and released.

We will never rest on our laurels, there is always room for improvement. I am looking forward to it getting better and better. Why the negatism on the James? Are you a guide down that way?

15. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Adam,

Good info. I have heard since I started catfishing that where those two rivers dump into Buggs is good fishing and even up into the rivers. But I heard that you can mess up your lower unit taking your boat up there unless you know where you're going. Do you think a 16' cc would be ok, or is a jon boat better? Can't wait to give flatties a try.

16. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    I have a 17 cc w/ a 70hp. In the winter I run the prop, when the water drops and fish move up river, I put on my jet drive. It gets a little shallow and rocky when you get up around South Boston and Danville. During the spring and early summer you don't have much to worry about at the mouth or up in the islands ( depth between 3ft and 15ft depending on the hole you are fishing). Nice holes to fish in the river or move out in the flats at feeding time w/ some live bait. You should be fine in these area for sure.

17. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Jpritch-for SML mid-may through the end of june should be an excellent time for flatties,we catch alot of flatties from the "tennis courts"all the way up past mormans ramp,fishing the mouths of coves and creeks.The flattie in my avatar came only a few hundred yards from mormans ramp,it is 1 of the largest we have caught from SML at 36#,but 15-25lbers are pretty frequent.

Hope This Helps!

If you ever need a fishing partner on SML,or the James let me know,I know a "little" about both.