SML Catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fredpike, Mar 14, 2009.

1. fredpike

fredpike New Member

State:
    Fishersville Virginia
    Was wondering if anyone had info on smith mountion lake catfishing where would be good place fish/bait

2. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I'm From Smith Mountain lake born and raised and still sticking around, and welcome to the BOC. I mostly fish Stripers and Catfish and i'll be glad to help you out. What time of the year are you planning to visit Smith Mountain. Right now the action can be a little scattered. But some good fish to be had. Were catching a few channel cats while stripers right now. But I havent really focused on catfishing in Smith Mtn right yet.

Smith Mtn holds mostly Channels and Flatheads. Alot of people will tell you theres blue cats in the lake. But only a handful, no were near enough to target. Just mistaken blue in color channel cats called blues.

For channels the entire lake can be fished. and they run an average of 3-8lbs. For Flatheads there more of an up river fish. With your best fishing from Hales Ford Bridge on the Roanoke river side and up river. and on the Blackwater side, From 3-islands at the mouth of gills creek and up the black water side.

3. fredpike

fredpike New Member

State:
    Fishersville Virginia
    Thanks for info, Ive been fishing SML for 3or4 years for green fish but boat traffic has gotn allmost as bad as anna. So im looking forward to more night/catfishing this summer. Do you have any suggestion on where to get bait. cast net ?

4. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Baits depends on were your launching from. But you'll be able to find it. A cast net is fine. I throw 10 and 12ft Cracker cast nets. For Gizzard shad. look in the backs of the creeks in the summer. Also in the summer, the past 3 years, the gizzards have been coming to the shallow docks lights more then they use to, along with alewives and threadfins. Gizzards are down lake around the dam, somedays you can find them other days there really scarace.

I live here at Smith Mtn, and i'm on the water year round. When you head this way, make a post and i'll let you know at least what i know's going on.

As for the boat traffic, its a pain. And its not just downlake anymore its the entire lake. Makes fishing challenging. I know alot of bass fishermen like you that have switch to night time fishing to avoid the traffic.

5. fredpike

fredpike New Member

State:
    Fishersville Virginia
    Thanks again for info lookn forwards to getn up there soon. Maybe even catch my first flathead ! Are the stripers still hittin good ?

6. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Stripers have been hitting good. Ive been out every day for almost 2 weeks, except friday the 13th and not b/c im supersticious, haha. With the water starting to warm, they've moved up, and been hitting shallow. not alot of busting, but crashing my baits behind planer boards. Thats were i get a rush, watching them crash on a gizzard shad behind my planer board. They havent really been hitting artifical all that much, but we've had our good days with artifical. Ive talked to a few boys thats fished at night more then i have and they said the bites been good, but also been sporadic, mostly throwing F-18's, buck tails. and a lure my buddy makes well call the Swamp Monkey, kinda resembles and rubber skirted bucktail with a fluke body.

But anyhow, theres been alot of good fish, and of corse springs bring's alot of short striking. Ive been experimenting with a stinger hook in my baits. and its working so far. I'm using a 5/0 eagle claw #084, tied on by a polymar, but leaving a 12" tag end. and using a 5-turn Improved clinch knot to tie on a #4 eagle claw treble to stick in the tail of the bait. I'll place the hook along the anal fin by inserting one of the barbs of the treble deep into the fish and make sure it hangs so it dont fall out. This leaves two barbs exposed with one on each side of the fish. Here recently alot of times, the fish ive caught have been hooked just by the treble. But ive havnt been running it on all my rods. Its not fun to try to lip a fish with another hook fly'ing around, also have you ever had a treble get all turned up in a net with a fish flopping around.

Ive mostly been using Gizzard shad in the 6-11inch range. running on 8-15ft freelined planers boards, atleast having one board beating against the bank. Most of the stripers have been good fish running 10-14lbs with a few 15 and 16lbs and one 18lber in the past two weeks. Catching a few nice largemouth, channel cats and white perch aswell. Also hung a Pig of a flathead today! from a planer board. Got her to the boat, but she would not come up. I could see the color of the orange board. But she just hung there, slowly pumping the rod. Never tried to make it to the bottom, just hung dead under the boat for roughly 2mins. before she moved off to the back of the boat and for some reason my leader line broke. I'm still questioning myself on that, and still sick over the loss....

Flatheads are about to get right here on Smith Mtn. Water temps are so scattered out right now. ranging from 47-52 and thats from today. Last weekend with the air temps up to mid 80's we found surface temps up to 58-59 degs. Flatheads can be caught now, but you'll have more disapointed trips then succesfull. Once spring gets here and the temps get warmed up. The flatheads will bite good. tho, they'll be scattered out meaning moving alot is key to finding the flatties...

Feel free to let me know when you come up and invite yourself onto my boat. I'll be happy to take you out and atleast show you what i know to do and we'll see if i can put you onto your first flathead.

I attached a picture of a nice striper we caught this evening, 14 or 15lbs i cant remember, just before the sun went down, just thought it was a cool pic. Sorry for the spec's it's been raining since saturday..

Attached Files:

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC, Wayne. It's great to have another Virginia catter on board!

:0a25:

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    That's some great info Travis. Appreciate that.

9. fredpike

fredpike New Member

State:
    Fishersville Virginia
    Thanks for all the great info, sounds like you been busy. Id love to come up fish. Im off every friday, let me know ...loard knows i can use all the help i can get ...thanks again and tight lines

10. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    A Polymar for a stinger hook is a bad idea! I've been using this method as i mentioned in my post above, and it works until you get hit hard. Ive lost two big fish in two days in a row, from to much pressure I assume, pulling on the polymar from two different directions at one time. and POP it goes! An over tight drag is something i never use aswell. So it couldnt be from that.

now i have retied and started using the eye of the hook to place two knots. As of now i am using a 15" section of 20lb braid. I have it tied to the eye of the hook, then to the stinger treble so roubly the stinger leader is 8-10"inchs long after i tie the knots. And Of corse the leader is tied as normaly to the eye of the hook. I used braid so it wouldnt interfer with each other. Two knots of mono in the same hook eye probally could get a little crammed up. I'll let you know how this works after the next few days of fishing.

11. DDDWEATHER

DDDWEATHER New Member

State:
    VA
    Question i fish up near the HARDY bridge. Is there any reel good spots up there and what is the prefered bait. i used to live in nj and am new to the area. i caught a small channel cat on nightrawlers in relitively shallow water. plse let me know if there are prefered areas and if there are good shore fishin points for cats locally

Dean D Davison

12. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Triple D. You probally see me pass by there. I live only min's from the ramp and its my normal place of launch. I'm in a Red F250 with a Bone Colored Carolina skiff, 198semi-v. I usually got blue bibs on, expec. When i'm catching bait. Holler at me if you see me, and i'll be glad to toss you a few peices of bait.

As for Fishing Around Hardy. It hit or miss. There's not many places to fish from Shore at SML so you kinda got to take it were you can. Most of the luck fishing from hardy comes from fishing anywere under the bridge. I know an ole boy that fishes there quiet a bit, uses Chicken Livers and Jumbo Shiners. Does well this time of year when the stripers are running. And durning the summer mostly catchings Channel Cats. A few bass and flatheads show up on his line from time to time. About the only luck i see people do fishing around the boat ramp is what people give them that load there boats and dont feel like cleaning 1 or 2 fish.

There's a hand full of public boats ramps around SML that allow shorefishing. But make sure there public, I dont know of any marinas that allow fishing. Also dont forget about fishing around Explore park, it can be excellent from shore. Its closed down, actually went under. But its still open to fishing, hiking and biking, just mind the signs.

13. DDDWEATHER

DDDWEATHER New Member

State:
    VA
    thanks for that info , i didnt know about explore park still being aloud to fish so ill try that also. thanks

Dean

14. DDDWEATHER

DDDWEATHER New Member

State:
    VA
    HARDY VA .. CATFISH , Channel Catfish and crappie are hitting hard near the hardy lanch. caught 7 crappie ,5 blue gill and 2 channel cats on tues

ppl there were reporting flatheads have been caught in the last week or so....