Smithville

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by mustad1, Mar 18, 2008.

1. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ok, i got all kinds of responses for the great bait shops of kc. Now tell me about Smithville. Is there some sort of usage charge? Can you trotline or jug fish it? Is it a good catfish hole? Can I navigate the upper sections with my canoe? ANY FLATHEADS?:eek:oooh:

2. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Smithville for my has always been hit and miss, except in April aorund the rocks.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah if you have a boat there's a usage fee in clay county. But thats just the way clay county works. If you go to the county north there ramp is free. If you ask me smithville is not that great of a lake to warrant there high fees.

4. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't bought my season pass yet but I think it is going to cost $90 for the truck and boat. There is a free ramp up by Plattesburg and it would be fine to launch your canoe. You can jug fish and run trotlines. I mainly fish the lake for crappie and walleye but it does boast a good population of catfish.

5. argel41

argel41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mustad 1: you can jug and trotline at smithville, you can catch a lot of eating size channel cats, sometimes a blue or two and ocassionaly a flattie. biggest blue I have caught myself is 23lbs and I think the biggest flattie was about 12 lbs. I know there have been bigger ones caught and I think they are there, just not as many as you would find at truman or loz. There is a clay county sticker you have to buy to park and launch your boat or the free ramp at plattsburg. not sure what the charge is but you can buy it at the park office at the camp branch marina. I live here close to the lake and fish it quite a bit, maybe we can get together and go sometime. :roll_eyes:

6. flatheadHunter84

flatheadHunter84 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i myself love fishing for cats and catch my share of flatheads up there too. Most people miss the best spots because they are so hard to get to with tons of trees in the way. there were times we had 4 people and caught or limit, thanks to my grandfather for showing me his spots before he passed on. We only caught 4 flatheads over 50# thats not too good because i fish it a few times a week all night long, but caught a bunch 10 to 20#, so it is starting to look more promising. I throw all the flatheads back because they are my favorite, but I will keep my limit of cats for my annual fish fry.

7. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i can get into about anywhere with my old grumman 16ft flatstern sport canoe. i hope to be able to find a briggs 5 horse for it somewhere used. I have run jugs and trotlines from it in the past. u can haul a lot in it as it is unsinkable i think. i am worried about storage for it and my camper moving down there. i currently have a 3 car garage and a 3 car storage shed and i will have niether down there.
    so are the flatties caught mostly on trotlines or rod and reels?

8. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I have a love/hate realtionship drifting jugs north of W bridge in the flats. I have done pretty good with cut bait in the sections north of W bridge and South of Plattsburg. The 5 fingers section is a constant producer for me- deep drops and a good channel. Remember - the north section will warm quicker than the sourthern portions and is more staind due to the Little Platte River running full force into it. I sold my bigger bass boats and now have a 14 foot v bottom and I swear it has helped increase my catch rate because I can't travel the length of the lake in 5 minutes:wink:!

9. flatheadHunter84

flatheadHunter84 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i HAVE A BRIGGS 5 HP YOU CAN HAVE. iT WORKED GOOD THEN STOPPED WORKING. I AM SURE IT CANT BE HARD TO FIX BUT I DONT CARE TO EVEN MESS WITH IT. I HAVE A NEW BOAT NOW AND HAVE NO USE FOR IT. sEND ME A pm AND I WILL MEET UP WITH YOU.

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I agree. $90 a year is a lot of money to get bounced around by ski boats doing 70mph. The daily charge is almost $20 (for truck and boat) :crazy:

11. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    looks like i may indeed be moving down there. my interview went very well yesterday and i followed it up with a trip to Minnesota Bait- boy did they looked shocked to see a guy in a suit come in there!!!!!

12. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ok now finally to my ten post limit!!!! now i can be a true catman i guess!!!