smithville

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by cook, Aug 17, 2005.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Got out last night for the first time in 2 weeks.Didn't even try for cats,just throwing a jig from the bank to get back on the water.

Got quite a few 5-6 inch crappie with a few keepers,a few small bass and bluegills,a 3# drum( :eek: hit like a 5# bass!)and a 1# channel,all on a blk/char crappie jig in 2 feet of water.

Felt good to get back out-but at dusk the skeeters flat tore me up!!They usually don't bother me much but last night I thought they were going to just fly me back to their home and eat me there. :evil-big: hate those pesky devils

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, they are wicked lately. Me and the boy were out throwing for shad Tuesday night and the cloud around the marker light on the boat was SCARY.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Something about the much needed rain and them pesky little bugs. I just hope there not that bad this weekend.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    After the heavy rain thur,the little platte was on the rise and dumping into smithville.Only had about an hour,but was getting bites every few minutes.
    Going out this morning(sat)with a little more time.

If anyone sees a blue PT Cruiser with 8 foot rods sticking out the top,say HI :D

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    I had a good morning(for me!!)18# blue and a dozen channels 2-4#.Had liver,cured liver,worms, shrimp,and shad.Shad was the big winner.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Nice. I had to work all weekend, got out for a few hours Sat. night. One good bite on a 4" shad, but that was it. I was trying some deeper water just for the heck of it, but no luck.

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Lakes up a little and very muddy on my end.I bet they open up the dam pretty soon.I keep checking the website,but usually is a day or 2 behind.

8. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    What website do you look at for the dam information? Where in the world are you catching blues at Smithville? All ever seem to get out of there are channel and if I fish for blues or flats I don't even get a bite.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    They are only letting out 100 cfs for now.I wonder if it can affect the flow down in La?Probably just a drop in the bucket.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Checked it out today.Man,that water is black,not muddy but black!!Stinks to high heaven!!Guess its coming from below the thermocline,stagnated and o2 poor.

12. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    cook,

hows the water temp running over there, I have been fishing the missouri river alot as of late. Haven't been to smithville since June, been waiting for the weather to cool down some. I've been wanting to get back over there and fish some of the spots north of W I was hitting in June. Sounds like you had a good run at them the other morning. Good luck to ya :)

13. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    hey guys sounds like a great lake to fish ,stibol taking me out up there one of these day hope to see you all.

14. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    hey brandon hows about the 1st of oct for fishing smithville

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Water temp on top is still around 79-80. Haven't fished above W bridge much, don't know the channels through the underwater forest yet.

Robert, the first sounds great.

16. cook

cook New Member

State:
    76 on my end'catching crappie right on the bank lately

17. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    thanks for the temp update fellas, I will have to make my way back in that direction soon. I love fishing back in theose stumpy coves in the north end.

18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Last time i fished the timber at smithville I got high centered for 30 min. or so. Then again the only catfish I ever catch out of smithville is in my throw net. Think I'll go get bait tomorrow.

19. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Haven't done much cattin in the last few weeks.In fact,haven't done much fishing at all.Did get out a few times this week for about an hour each.Catching crappie and white bass,not a ton but enough to keep me busy for an hour.Tons of small shad,about 3 inches,schooling up all over the place.