smithville

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fishhead, Nov 22, 2005.

1. fishhead

fishhead New Member

State:
    KC Missouri
    We have been doing pretty on crappie up nearthe free ramp.Has anyone been doing any good on the main lake?How about you Cook?

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Yep!!Just got back with a limit.White bass also.
    Been doing better in the river section.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    What are ya'll catching the crappie on this time of year? It's almost impossible to find minnows for sale, at least around Truman Lake.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Can't figure it out.They are not in the winter pattern yet.I've been getting them in the shallow water near cover,little platte river about 1 mile from the free ramp.Don't use minnows,just jigs under a float,let the wind/waves give it action.

5. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    What's up guys? Where's this free ramp your talking about?

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    In Plattsburg.
    From St.Joe
    take 29-south
    get off on 169 by the truck stops
    169 to 116(about 7 miles south of Gower)
    left(east) on 116 about 4 miles
    water tower on right,gravel road(has "Plattsburg" printed verticle)
    3 miles to stop sign(T-intersection)

about 100 yards to the left.

7. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    Cook, Have you tried any of the areas near the W boat ramp? I've always heard you could catch some good ones at Smithville but I haven't had much luck. I did pretty good at Hillsdale this week but would like to stay a little closer to home.

8. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Thanks for the helpw/ the directions Cook. Kinda hard for me to stay in fishing mindset when it's hunting season. Good to see ya keeping this Smithville thread going through the lean times.

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    AC,only fished there a few times.There is a brushpile about 50 feet off the cove point straight across from the ramp,hard to reach on foot.I live about 2 minutes from the little platte and 10 min from the free ramp.Have about 5 spots I can catch crappie if they are biting.Can check them all out and be back home in the same time it would take to reach W.Also car is 20 feet to 50 yards away for quick warm up in the winter. :cool:

Lakeith.
    I work in St.Joe,just north of the new shopping center.42.3 miles from house to work.Where and what have you been hunting?

10. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Well, i went deer hunting for the 1st. time this ever on 27ac of private land south of St. Joe. Went sat. morn. and Sun. evening and didn't even see a deer. I saw just a few tracks so i don't think it's great habitat for them, although there is a old apple tree and a nice little pond. Then the 25th i drove to Marshall and Nemaha counties in Ks to some walk-in hunting land and didn't see a single pheasant or quail just one solitary rabbit. I did catch me some nice crappie out of that private pond as it is full of crappie and bass.
    What about you, any hunting this yr? I've fished with Brandon/Stolib a few times this summer at Smithville.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Went deer hunting for 3 hrs one morning near Happy Holler on private land...nada...don't hunt much anymore...like rabbit hunting mainly,easier to drag out :D

Ever fish happy holler or monzingo?

12. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    Cook, If you don't mind you might have to let me know where one of your not so good spots are. I don't want to know where the good ones are, just a so so one. I wouldn't mind getting the boat out and catching a few in the spots where I think they are but to avoid the hassle of the boat and be that close to warmth is fantastic.

13. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Andi-not a problem-will show you all the spots-I don't mind sharing-There are plenty for everyone.Only problem is,the day I show you will be the day they aren't biting,and make me look like a fool.Thats the nice thing about being so close to home,if no biters I can check them all and be back home in 1 hour.I'm free most mornings,but will need a few days notice to clear it with the "Boss" :D
    Thur. might be good.

14. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    I watch the kids weekday mornings while the better half is in class but am free from 7am Saturday morning until Monday at 11pm. I think this weekend I'm going to cut and split some wood for next year on Sunday but Saturday is pretty free.

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    sat.no good for me-maybe next week