SMITHVILLE

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catman-j, Jan 28, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Anyone have any success there? I had a very negative experience with Clay County Parks but I would hope the lake is good.:confused2:

2. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Smithville is a good place to fish. Stay above the "W" bridge and you won't have alot of recreational traffic to deal with. The backs of Roberts creek in trimble and way up the little platte are good places to catch catfish. Crappie fishing in the spring is real good in the trimble area. What kind of expierience did you have?

3. argel41

argel41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Clay County Parks have increased the yearly pass fees by $30 tho $35. getting too pricey for me, I think I will go to the river more or pull to Truman. Can also go to free ramp near Plattsburg. :angry:

4. bogray

bogray New Member

State:
    missouri
    Didn't they bump up the yearly pass for a boat to seventy or eighty bucks as well?

5. bogray

bogray New Member

State:
    missouri
    And I agree...I always have luck around Trimble for cats and crappies. A few over 20 last year, plus a handful off slabs around two pounds. I do pretty good in Plattsburg for slabs and kitties, too.

6. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Has anyone been by the lake to see how open it has gotten. I would think with the wind and heat that it should be opening nicely.

7. MOVINON

MOVINON Member

State:
    Glenwood Iowa
    Great lake, lousy management!

8. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    So what's the ice situation on the lake? Is it open?

9. libertyfisher

libertyfisher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It was about 80% ice covered on Saturday 2/7 but that may well have changed since then.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff.

11. argel41

argel41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished Smithville yesterday, water was all open, didn't see any ice at all. caught 1 12 1/2 in crappie and 8 or 10 5 - 7 in fish. surface temp was 39. this was all south of W ramp but I think it is all open.:roll_eyes:

12. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Nice catch. I fish the docks in the winter and have a ball with the crappies.

13. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Why do our local lakes have Blue Cat's?

14. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Some are stocked by MDC or fishermen who want them there,and any lake that has a connection the the Mo. or MISS. will have them.

15. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    well, I fished today and had the entire lake to myself. Tried crappie fishing first, no luck. The cove north of Sailboat Cove was full with shad. Had enough in a couple throws to go try for some catfish. Tried trimble area first, no luck. Then headed towards Plattsburg. We caught one around 6# and one about 14". Had several other bites but they didn't seem to awful hungry. Will try again when this weather settles down.

16. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fished today, shad were a little tough to come by. We did manage to catch some nice channel cat this afternoon. What a nice day to be on the water! :big_smile:

17. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    ton of water coming outta da dam!

18. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Has anyone been above the free ramp?

19. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I am always a little scared of getting stuck if I cross the bridge. I went up there one time and saw the mud churning in my wake, turned around quickly. I couldn't stay in the channel. It's like a magical barrier that I don't go past. Do you go up there?

Fished main lake today, north and south of w = I stunk it up. 1 crappie & 0 cats. I mean 0 cats. No cats, nothing. Zero. Nada. Zip. Nice day though. My boat only leaks a little.

I saw new price to go to the lake. $120 for boat and vehicle.:confused2: I don't know if I will save $120 by driving to Plattsburg, but will probably fish up there more often or just go to the Platte River. I say that like I have a leg to stand on, Smithville Lake is about 5 minutes from me.:crazy:

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thats why I don't fish Smithville in my boat Scott. I buy the Jackson Cty. stickers for my boat and that is $87 dollars but does cover 3 lakes. Can't afford both.
    Good meeting you. Give me a holler and we will get together sometime.