Smithville Spillway

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bgoodman498, May 26, 2007.

1. bgoodman498

bgoodman498 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Has anyone been doing any good at Smithville Spillway? I'm not even sure if they're still letting water out. I'm going to give it a shot tonight as long as the weather premits. Wish me luck!

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Its down to 500 cfs....got 4 flatheads this morning....lost a 40lber:angry:

3. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jon,

Do you mind me asking what you were fishing with?

Scott

4. talk2sampson

talk2sampson New Member

State:
    smithville mo
    Any chance its 2 jigs about 18 inches apart like most everyone who fishes there during high water? I still cant belive that the M.D.O.C. still lets that ride. Anyone who has fished there during high outflow knows what I'm talking about.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Scott-you are assuming that people use this set-up to snag flatheads.Some people do intentionally snag there,which is illegal.I'm not one of them.I was mobbed by some people who saw me letting a nice flathead go that was accidently snagged,they were keeping everything.Lets just say I'm not eating at any oriental resturants for a while:roll_eyes:A few of the regulars came up to me and thanked me later.
    Flatheads are the top predators in the water here(and blues)...they like live bait,but will crush a lure under the right conditions.
    I don't know you,and you don't know me... I would like to ignore your insinuation and get a chance to fish with ya so you can see for yourself...will be there tue. a.m.,blue PT Cruiser.

I agree with enforcment at the dam,holiday weekend and didn't see one game warden.After 10 years,I've given up calling the hotline,only saw them show up once...about 4 hours after I called.I don't blame the wardens,they have a lot of ground to cover,but the hotline is more like a tepid line:big_smile:Clay Co. Sheriff Dept. has higher priorities.

6. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jon/Scott

Jon-I fished the spillway this morning. Two jigs with a short heavy surf rod. I snagged I guess 6 Asian or Silver Carp. I dont know for sure what they were but what a blast, they fight like a train. No Flathead using shad but I did not care, the Carp fight was awesome. Next time I am going to go just for the Carp, what a blast....

Scott-Next time you see someone snag a Flat speak your mind and let them know what you think.

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Mo,the crowd was too much for me sunday,I walked down the river to that point.Caught 1/2 dozen nice(to me) channels...had shrimp,liver,frozen shad.....they were all on shad...gar played with every bait.

8. talk2sampson

talk2sampson New Member

State:
    smithville mo
    Jon, I hope you didnt take my comment the wrong way. I sure wasent trying to call you out. The people who are down there snaggin make it near impossible to fish live bait there. I know you can catch some nice fish there on luers, I caught a 34# flat there 14 years ago on a lure. I think you have the right idea fishing there during the weekday mornings, good luck and would love to join ya but I have to work.:angry:

9. bgoodman498

bgoodman498 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Where is this point your talking about? Is it near the spillway?

10. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jon

Great info, much thanks to you. I will send you a message next time I go up if you would like to join it would be great. Have a good week.

Scott

11. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Scott, The same could be said for those fishing on the bottom I guess couldnt it. Thirty feet of line out right down the middle of the creek behind the dam. We all do different things and do it in different ways, the important part is we are out there doing it gaining those memories of life. I guess I dont understand your statement, first you say people snagging make it near impossible for you then the next sentence you sing the praise of catching a 34 LB fish on a lure. Cast and retreive, thats what I was doing when I was working the carp over, correct?????

12. talk2sampson

talk2sampson New Member

State:
    smithville mo
    First of all the fish I spoke of was caught with a hook in its MOUTH, not tail, not belly, not head. This fish was also released not taken to a restaraunt. What bothers me about the smithville spillway is as soon as they start running water out there is usually 10-20 people a night running 2 jigs and yanking their poles like their starting their lawnmower for the first time of the year (snagging which is illegal) and tying everybody up in knots. It's just sad for those who choose to fish legal.

True story, I was fishing there eight years ago at night and the agents and smithville police came down there and arrested two guys using the two jig method and towed both of there cars away. High price to pay for "memories of a lifetime".

13. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Scott

Great for you, you as I have caught Flatheads on a jig. You have an edge about you my friend. I somehow guess the boys you saw get hauled away were doing something against code like having Flathead on a stringer while snagging? That my friend is not what I was doing. I think you will find nothing against code to fish for Flats with a jig and while I do it if I snag a non native fish that is released so be it. I dont think you will find any of my actions against code. And to correct you as I go, trust in one thing. Those boys you saw getting "Hauled Away" did take away some memories now did they not?

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    To bad snagging season is over don't you think? But by the sounds of your threads you don't care much about the law really. Go figure.

15. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Guys,

Lets get a grip shall we. To make you feel better I called MDC Blue Springs. Gave them my name and contact information and told them what I was doing. I was told I am well within the guidelines of the law. I was fishing for Flats with a Jig and while doing so snagged some Asian Carp. I have never snagged a flat that did not go back. Next time please get your facts before telling someone they have broken the law. Unless we are going to turn this into a "Save The Asian Carp" Post I guess this is over?

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I like that heart warming touch. I calld mdc first. I could care less about the carp. I do like how you forget what you said. "next time I'm going just for the carp" So let's see you probably where just pumping the rod in a jigging motion for flats right. Not in a snagging motion for say snagging.

17. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow Josh, you have it all figured out man. In the last few weeks I have fished Smithville and Clinton in this manner. I have yet to hook or snag a Flathead, if I wanted to I am well aware of the technique. I have watched a ton of Flathead get snagged and put in coolers. I will continue to fish in this manner and some day I will catch one as I did some time back. I have a choice and when non native Carp are stacked up like cord wood in the place I want to fish I can hang it up or make the best of it.
    As for my MDC comment I am glad it warmed your heart. If you would like let me know and will give you the agents name and contact information, I have it at work. That way if you need to call and check up you can do so. Have a great day.

18. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Moriver,
    was up there sat. morning..water down to 250 cfs.Glad I brought some frozen shad,fished the bottom with cut bait...got a 10#blue and some nice channels,carp are so thick I didn't even try for flats.Might give it a try again this afternoon.

19. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cook,

Let me know how it goes if you make it back out. I put on up north Saturday afternoon and stayed out all night fishing big live bait for Flathead with no success. We did see a few fishing shallow that did pretty well with smaller fish it looked like.. If you need shad run up the river from the ramp to where it turns back into river. The shad are stacked up big time.

20. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The shad are also back in the trimble arms pretty thick. I might try to fish Thursday night if it stays nice like this.