Smithville Overcharging for Fishing, camping, and boating

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Crawdad, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    I thought it was outrageous year before last when they charged me $15.00 to launch my boat. So last summer they charged $17.50. And God forbid you camp there & have a boat. Any Corp park i've been in will let you leave a boat on the grass at your campsite, but Smithville made us leave it unattended in a back corner of the park & charged us an extra $5.00 to do so.
    The lake was built by the Corp with federal tax funds, but turned it over to the City of Smithville & Johnson county, who've turned it into a city/county gold mine.
    :cursing:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If nobody went there, then they'd get the message.

We all have a voice, and it's our money they want. You've got a choice.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    17.50 to dock a boat or is that to camp also? I'm with Bob if it costs that to put a boat in they wont be seeing me there often. I think you need to go to a city council meeting and remind them there CraZy.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Post up next time you come up here.There are free spots to launch and park.Yup,its outragous,but brothers can help you out.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    we are having the same kind of problems out here in cali to. one lake i go to a lot for trout charges 12.00 for truck and boat for day use. if you want to camp its another 27.50 to camp add another 10 for the boat per nite. must pull boat out of lake when your done cant leave it on shore by your campsite.
    sad thing is this lake is close to me. another lake i go to day use is free no charge to use the ramp or parking the truck and camping is 17 per nite and if you have a shoreline campsite you can beach your boat there at no extra charge. which is a fair deal i feel but this lake is a long drive for me. one place i catfish for cost 10.00 to use the ramp per day if you go out say friday nite and come in saturday you have to pay another 10 for comeing in saturday off the river its insane.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Johnson county? You might mean clay county. There D***s. I still have not had to pay a fee yet to this day. I guess I just know how to work the system. Although I don't camp there. My idea of camping is going away from the crowed not going to it.

7. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Cook, thanks for the offer of guidance. Folks here are great.
    I only go to Smithville once/year cause my 2 daughters & 4 grandkids live in North KC area. The 17.50 doesn't include camping, but it does cover the swimming beach where some of the rug rats stay while the others are boating.
    We don't get to see the rascals often & the grins on their faces while towing behind the boat is worth a lot. Since the lake's close to KC i suppose it would be overrun if the charge was more reasonable. Seems like they could avoid that with a quota like they do at Johnson Shutins. Guess i was just aggravated cause I didn't get a kiss with that scr*ing.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Or at least a courtesy reach around! :eek:

9. zero tolerance

zero tolerance New Member

State:
    Saint Joseph, M
    If you fish Smithville once a year 17.50 is not bad but there are a couple free docks to launch from.
    I fish Smithville a couple times a week so 17.50 would be bad however I do catch alot of cats there.

10. zero tolerance

State:
    Saint Joseph, M
    I have been shooting the heck out of pheasants and a few quail, My lab is eleven and his heart is into it but his body is giving out. I went yesterday and shot a limit of pheasant and six quail and felt bad leaving him at home but when I take him it takes several days for him to recover.
    I have decided to retire him and look for a setter, Where did you get your setter?

11. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Another guy I hunted with wanted one from the same blood line, but The dam died at the next litter birthing & the breeder got out of the business. I got a call recently from a setter friend near here who'd seen my dog work & wanted to use him for stud service. I could prob get you pick of the litter for it, at $250 if you're interested.
    We're nearing the end of his 3rd season & Max (Maximus the Gladiator)isn't quite 3 yrs old yet. He's a fine hunter & great with my grandkids. My friend's dog has a collar that changes tone when he goes on point. Max immediately learned to back up the point whenever he heard the tone change.
    If you have time & a place to go New years weekend I'd like to get together with you for a day. I can't take the whole weekend to go back to Iowa where we usually go. Give me a call at work (800-325-8310) or home (573-943-2151) if you want to talk about it.
    Bill Walker

12. zero tolerance

State:
    Saint Joseph, M
    I have to work the weekend but have monday and tuesday off.
    Is your setter registered? And when do you expect pups?
    Call me (816) 248-3076 my email add. is jhowery@sbcglobal.net

13. cheeseheadking

cheeseheadking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What capsite are you camping in? I know that at Camp Branch, they let you park your boat on the gravel parking area at every campsite. Your now alowed to park it in the grass but on the gravel is ok.

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've never camped there. They stop charging about 730 or 8pm during the summer, so I put in just about dark, fish till 5 or 6 am, and am pulling the boat out about the time all the jetskis and ski boats that make the place miserable to fish during the day are putting in. Only drawback is I'm kind limited in what areas I can fish, don't have cojones big enough to try and run the areas north of W bridge in the dark. It's like they flooded Sherwood forest up there. I've pretty much stopped doing even that. I go there to catch bait a lot, but got tired of spending all night to not catch anything.