Smithville lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mo.Hick, May 6, 2008.

1. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Does anyone know if the crappie are on the banks at smithville yet?

Tom

2. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    not yet, I've heard of some guys catching fish on minnows in 10' of water. I guess they are on the banks at Perry Lake in KS.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    The bite is on!!

4. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I also here there are several catfish being caught on the north end. Hint, fish very shallow and with nightcrawlers!

5. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

The MDC fishing report that came out today said they were catching them in 1 to 2 feet of water...

6. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I talked to a guy today that had caught his limit in a couple hours on jigs below the dam.

7. Icemanxxxv

Icemanxxxv New Member

State:
    Smithville Missouri
    Sailboat Cove netted us three channel cats yesterday two on cut blue gill one on worms. I screwed up and didn't get my fish in the picture it was 3lbs 10oz. Would have put some points on the board for my team but oh well bad photography. Maybe next time. Fish caught in 3 to 6 feet of water.

8. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fished yesterday, caught 5 real nice crappie on minnows right on the bank. Might have caught a few more but the trolling motor quit and my son (22m old was on his first fishing trip) decided it was fun to play with the minnows instead of fishing with them. Oh well, it kept him occupied. Then we went up north for some catfishing. Tried one spot and nothing, then we moved to an area that was 18" deep and the carp were in there spawning. There were some real big cats in there chasing them around. My partner wasn't ready for fish that size and broke 3 of them off, 8# doesn't stand a chance against 20#+ fish. The big ones wouldn't hit my line, i managed 4 - 2# channel cat. I'm going more prepared next time. All in all it was a good day one the water. I think I have a fishing partner for life now!

9. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Has anyone fished Smithville the last couple of days? Just wondering if anyone is catching any crappie or catfish. I'll be over there Friday - Monday.

10. padge3ike

padge3ike New Member

State:
    Missouri
    the kids and I camped out friday night in the trimble area. My older boy caught two channels, one blue and a butt load of drum on worms. I didn't have any luck on cut bait. We are going again tommorow night.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'll be camping this weekend with the Boy Scout troop - we're going to be based out of Camp Branch, fishing from the shore.

Any tips on locations close to Camp Branch (within easy walking distance) where we might find some channel cats?

I'll be introducing the fellows to the wonders of Sonny's Wicked Sticky and Looper rigs... :wink:

12. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Marty you might try next to camp branch marina by the bridge on the north west side. The water is deeper by the bridge with an flat on the west side. Seems that worms are working the best right now, but sonys eill probably produce also.

13. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Don't forget the crappie if the kids are bored waiting on catfish,they are on the bank now.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks - I'm sure there'll be some crappie caught over the weekend - my son has a tackle box full of jigs he's dying to use. Catfishing is fun but it's not nearly as captivating for a kid as cast & reel, cast & reel, cast & reel....

15. padge3ike

padge3ike New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The kids and I went camping last night in the Trimble area. I caught a 25 lb. blue cat. Kids caught a couple channels and a nice 5 lb. walleye. My kids are pumped about fishing after seeing that blue on the end of my line.

16. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Congrats on the 25 lber...great way to get the kids going on fishing...were you bank or boat fishing? What kind of bait?

17. padge3ike

padge3ike New Member

State:
    Missouri
    we were fishing from the bank. I was using cutbait (bluegill) and the kids were using worms. They switched to cutbait though.:smile2: I kept asking them when we rebaited if they wanted cutbait but they said no, we like catching anything. Thats ok. I was the same when I was a kid. A fish is a fish. Doesn't matter what it is. Its all fun. We will probably be camping again next friday. I bet they go with cutbait or live bluegill this time. :wink:

18. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I camped over there the last 3 days. Friday the crappie were real slow, yesterday was better as we ended the day with 34 keepers, today was even better as I caught 15 keepers in about 30 min. It was such a nice weekend to be on the water. I'll be back over there again tomorrow. The fish are really pretty scattered but there are pockets of good fish around. Fish mainly dark jigs, purple/chart. and black/chart. were my killer baits this weekend. Get over there as the crappie spawn is in full swing.

19. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I fished again yesterday. Fishing was a little tougher yesterday. Same color of jigs worked. We managed to catch our 45 fish but it took from 11 - 730 to do it. The fish are scattered but there are some good pockets of fish around. Just keep moving till you find them then go look for more. I'll be back on the water Thurs. weather permitting.

20. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished again today and the females are on the bank. This morning I caught my limit in no time and didn't keep anything less than 10". Still use dark colors, caught most on Purple and Chart. Sliders. Water temp is 67 - 70 and stained.