Smithville Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by flatheadHunter84, Feb 23, 2008.

1. flatheadHunter84

flatheadHunter84 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I cant wait for the lake to thaw out so I can go catch some big cold water cats. Anyone else like to fish Smithville, let me know maybe we can go some time. Also swap some info im always up for learning.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've never fished there but i'm in full agreement with things Thawin out. Also welcome to the BOC, the library is full of helpful topics.

3. argel41

argel41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I live close to Smithville and fish it quite a bit, get in touch with me and we will go sometime when the lake thaws. ha also welcome to te BOC .:wink:

4. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'd be thrilled to join.

5. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Are they still drawing the lake down? Also does anyone know how frozen the lake is? If it warms up some this week I might try and fish on Thurs.

6. flatheadHunter84

State:
    Missouri
    you can fish for crappie at the marinas, they keep the water thawed there it will cost a couple of dollars though, all of the boat ramps are frozen pretty solid, i checked yesterday. I just got a new boat and have only had it out once, so i am keeping a close watch on it, Ill keep you posted.

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I am ready for this cold weather to end. It looks like the weather is going to warm up just a little bit:big_smile: I can't wait to wet a line.

8. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I fish there several times a year, mostly in the spring and fall. Occasionally I will fish there during the summer, at night.

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Yep,smithville is frozen up tight.

They are running water,going to replace/repair some rip-rap on points.

10. flatheadHunter84

State:
    Missouri
    yea the lake dose look down a bit, I hope they don't repair all the rip rap, I have some good luck drift fishing over some of the real shallow water and around the weeds that grow, i think tha walleye like just as much as the blues do.

11. cheeseheadking

cheeseheadking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I live in Smithville, we fish there at least once a week all year long. I'd love to set up a fishing party some day or night when it warms up. Let me know if anyone else wants to get together.

12. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I'd be game for that.

13. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    You can count me in, like fishing there of the evenings. Sure hope this ice thaws of soon. We get some good southern winds, there is a couple flats I like to hit right after the shad winter kill.

14. flatheadHunter84

State:
    Missouri
    i am there almost every single weekend Fri night thrue sunday,we have a place off of dd right next to the dam I will always be down to go out and meet new people, i pole fish and trotline. sent me a pm and we can swap numbers and set somthing up. Also if anyone want to try snagging on the osage i have extra gear.

15. argel41

argel41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Mark, sounds good to me, put a post out and let me know when you plan to go.:roll_eyes:

16. flatheadHunter84

State:
    Missouri
    id be game too jjust let me know

17. flatheadHunter84

State:
    Missouri
    took the boat out today, some boat ramps are clear, lake was clear all the coves are still frozen over though. We caught 2 catfish on shad and 12 keeper crappie in about 5 hrs. It was tough fishing with the wind it felt like you were out in the ocean.

18. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the crappie? Were you fishing off of the docks?

19. flatheadHunter84

State:
    Missouri
    we fished the bridge pillars by camp branch is where we caught most of them, the launches by crows creek park and camp branch are clear, as for some of the others i passed they still looked frozen. Water was only 36.5 Degrees, and the ice in the coves was still pretty thick. I didnt make it out todat though.

20. flatheadHunter84

State:
    Missouri
    also i herd they cut back on the water they were letting out but some guy was cleaning about a 30lb cat when i walked down there and checked it out yesteray, i didn't have anyluck for crappie down there.