Smithville Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Todd Strong, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    How the north end since all the rain, was going to come down tommorrow to get shad. Didn't know if the Little Platte had done merked the north end pushing the shad out. I usually get my shad close to the ramp, around the bridge.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Should be fine,we didn't get as much as ya'll,it all soaked into the ground.

is "merked" a word :) bwhaahaaa

3. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Not for sure but I'll use it, :smile2:

Thanks for the info, good luck this weekend if ya get out.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    We hit it Saturday morning and caught 50 -60 about 6-7" long. Took 5 hours and it was a hassle getting all the 1-2" out of the net, but worth it the way the bait situation's been.

Hey, Cook, how much longer do you think we'll be able to across that big flat to get up the Platte? We made it Saturday morning but there was only about a foot and half of water. Think there's still a trench in the flat from where my prop scooped it out...:smile2:

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    That flat looks like a giant tic-tac-toe board when it gets exposed.Seen many a bass boat imitate a giant blender on steroids when they hit it.

I hit the next bridge (small iron one that is now closed)and was suprised to see some older gentlemen come around the corner on a boat,so I know you can make it up that far still.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, once we got on the river we were good for probably 2 miles but when we got down to about 3' we turned it around.

7. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I see what you mean Branden on the flat, my gps shows the river channel there but I think I hit around 4-5" and dragging the boat across the flat. Got a good supply of shad, 5-7" and had to clean a bunch of the little ones out of the net.

8. bucktailjay

bucktailjay New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anybody got any location advice for a rookie? Planning on fishing Monday, should I go north(by public launch) or south by the dam? Whats the usual pattern this time of year for the cats. Any specific bait better this time of year/depth?? Sure could use some help, Im dieing to get a bend in the rod!!! I really enjoy this site, it has been very usefull!!

9. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A friend of mine was telling me that he drifted the shallow flats on the north end recently and caught several fish. I think they were usung shad and nightcrawlers. I think I'm going Mon. morning for a little while but I'm going to be crappie fishing. Good luck to you!

10. bucktailjay

bucktailjay New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went out today (sat) caught one bass on a crankbait in the small cove southeast of W bridge. Still cant find the Cats. Marked a ton of bait off of the point in that same cove in about 37foot of water. Trolled bandits through it, no luck. Also tried jigging the area with no luck either. Hit three coves and didnt see hardly any bait shallow?? Fished with shiners on bobbers, threw cranks, and shadsides for the whisker fish.. Ohh well Ill try again Mon. I did see people catching fish off the W bridge, but I cant seem to bring myself to join the crowd. Anybody have any tips...

11. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can't seem to join those people under the bridge. I'll be out there tomorrow crappie fishing. I'm going to try fishing the main lake brush piles and if the doesn't work hit the marinas. There should be some crappie under those schools of bait this time of the year. Did you happen to notice the water temp? I'll be out there in a 20' Camo express, say hi if you see me. Good Luck!

12. argel41

argel41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jason, I have had some luck fishing the downwind side of flats but not much in real shallow water seems like 8 -20 ft is best. I have been on the area north of the w bridge by the camp branch marina. if the wind is out of the north or nw I fish in the corner by the highway on the south side of the open area, the water goes from 35 ft or so up to about 10ft pretty fast. if the wind is out of the south go to the nw side of the area and fish around the edge of the standing timber there. hope this helps some. also try drifting if you don't get bites stationary.. argel 41:smile2:

13. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Just got back,caught 2 crappie in 2 hours...not a great percentage

Got a 35# flathead at the spillway last wed.

14. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just got home myself. I cleaned 23 crappie, 2 of us fishing. They were mostly on the new brushpiles in the main lake but we did catch a few around the docks. The ones around the docks were suspended about 5' down over 20' of water. Caught them on blue/white mostly but chart. wasn't bad. Water temp is 58 - 60, things will get better as it continues to cool down.

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Water still real muddy and full of leaves(leafs? :) )on north end