Smithville Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by limestoneworm, May 8, 2007.

1. limestoneworm

limestoneworm New Member

State:
    missouri
    Is anyone having any luck catching cats on smithville this week?

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    We caught a couple Saturday night before last up by the free ramp. Went out this Saturday but the lightning started about 11:30 and we hung it up. Not a nibble in the 3 hours we were there, though. I've been fishing the river most of last summer and this Spring, though, so it's probably more me not knowing how to fish a lake than the fish:smile2:

3. cheeseheadking

cheeseheadking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Im going out tomorrow morning I'll let you know. I heard that the cats have moved up into the back of the coves. Going to give it a shot and see what's out there.

4. limestoneworm

limestoneworm New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm going to give it a try under the bridge above the free ramp today from the bank. Haven't had much luck yet on chad and stink bait but I'm going to give it another try. Let ya know

5. oldguy

oldguy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Moving to Smithville area and closing on a house there June 3rd at 10:00am. Plan to be on the water by 1:00pm (probably divorced by 6:00pm). Where's the "free" ramp?

Thanks

6. limestoneworm

limestoneworm New Member

State:
    missouri
    It's on the north end of smithville lake just south of Plattsburg on county road # 240. All the other ramps you have to pay to use. The best thing about this area of the lake is theres no water skiing.

7. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    What's up Branden? Hadn't seen you around for a while(probably more me not looking at the missouri threads real closely). I went to a free ramp last sun. it was a real round about road on the west side of the north end and the road just ended in the lake. Is that the only free "ramp" or is there a better one.

8. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Rick, you have me rolling on that one....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

9. oldguy

oldguy New Member

State:
    Kansas

Thanks. Found it on the map. With gas over $3 a gallon, I'll go ahead and take out a home equity loan and buy one of those annual passes.

10. cheeseheadking

cheeseheadking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Rick let me know if and when your going out. We are moving up to Smithville on the 16th of May. Can't wait to live that close to the lake. Now my wife really won't get anything out of me on my days off.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Bruce,
    Kinda sounds like your talking about "O" hiway behind trimble??

Come south on 169 from st.joe,turn left(east) on 116(by dennis sneed ford dealership)go about 4 miles and turn right(south) at the water tower.
    go straight about 2 miles,road "T"s(ends)....ramp is left about 100 yards.

hope this is clear as mud :)

12. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    So what is the lake level like there now? I had heard the parking lot at the free ramp was under water, but that was last week. Anyone been to the free ramp in the past day or so? Just wondering if it is useable yet.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Went today and couldn't back far enough in to launch my boat!:angry:

14. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanks for the info Doug. I have the day off tomorrow and sure was hoping that the level was back down to an acceptable level.

15. talk2sampson

talk2sampson New Member

State:
    smithville mo
    I was up there yesterday and launched off of the old road off of arnold. I think it is up about six feet. We caught around 20 one to three pound channels in about four hours.

16. argel41

argel41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rick, I live close to the lake and have fished it since it was built. When you get moved in and want to, send me a message and we can get together and go sometime and I will show you what I know about the lake. I fished last week and only caught four but I found them in shallow water where a creek runs in the lake. After a big rain you can always catch them at these locations.

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Hey, Scott, I haven't been on line much lately. There's a better free ramp right off of 240th street (I think that's right). It's out in the middle of nowhere, but it's pretty cool. If you pick up one of those Smithville lake brochures at one of the bait shops the map in it is a good way to find it.

18. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Ok, i'll look for 240th on the maps. Don't know when i'll go back but, i bought a years pass and i'm gonna get my moneys worth out of it!

19. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    The 240th Street ramp is the one that's flooded. Better have a flat bottom and two guys to unload and load!

20. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Thanks for the detailed directions Cook. I didn't see your post before i made my last one. That'll be pretty easy to find. One time Branden and i went the other side of the river at night and could hear people at that ramp.