Smithville Lake - This Weekend

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bgoodman498, May 29, 2008.

1. bgoodman498

bgoodman498 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Hey Guys,

Where are most of the cats being caught at on the lake? I heard a few weeks ago it was up near Plattsburg. I didn't know if thats still the case. I'm probably going up there early evening saturday. I'll be fishing from the bank, so if anyone has any suggestions on where I should try I would really appreciate the help. I'm really not targeting a specific cat. Any will do!

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Last Sunday we fished from the Plattsburg ramp down to the first set of powerlines crossing the lake. Caught seven channels from 2-6 lbs in less than two feet of water right up against the bank. Cut shad was the bait of choice.

Look for the carp going crazy on the shoreline, and fish right in amongst them.

3. cats only

cats only New Member

State:
    missouri
    Becarefull fishing the paper today said the lake was up 16 ft.

4. padge3ike

padge3ike New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always fish the Trimble area. I found a nice spot. I have fished it for the past 4 or 5 years. I have to hike through the timber a ways to get to it but I don't have to worry about anyone bugging me. I pull channels, blues, a flathead once in awhile and walley this time of year out of there. Last week I caught 5 nice channels and the week before I caught a 25 # blue, 5 pound walleye and two nice channels. I think anywhere in the trimble area would be good. People fish for cats by W bridge all the time. South of W bridge is to busy with pleasure boats, anywhere north of the bridge is good.
    good luck:big_smile:

5. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Does anyone know what the lake level looks like today? Just wondering if the Plattesburg ramp would be useable.

6. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished there yesterday and there is no way the lake is 16' high. I think it is a couple of feet above normal. The crappie have really shut off. I hammered them on Tues and only managed 6 in 4 hours fishing yesterday. Still catching them on purple sliders.

7. cats only

cats only New Member

State:
    missouri
    The paper misprinted the lake report. The lake is only up a foot. I'll be out tomorrow. Post a result when i get back.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
  9. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have fished the main lake every weekend for the last three weeks and have been catching lots of channels and blues in the 8 to 10 pound range and one 17 pound blue two weeks ago.Main lake points on the outside of the weeds in 6 to 8 feet of water close to deep water is working well for us. we put in at Little Platte around midnight and fish till 7 or 8 in the morning.. As for the lake level it may be 2 feet high but thats about it...

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's exactly what Noah's neighbors were saying as he loaded up the Ark...

12. cats only

cats only New Member

State:
    missouri
    have you had any luck finding shad. If so where. or what have you been using for bait?

13. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Bait for Shad ???????????

14. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    I hate to try and think like another fisherman, but I'm guessing he asked what alternative baits we use when we can't find shad. BUT..... if anyone knows of a bait for shad that would be EXTREMELY helpful in early spring!

15. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I have started to get a few shad by the bridge at the Plattsburg ramp. But not as plentyfull as usual.

Does anyone know if the little platte is on a hard rise. I was planing on hitting the lake saturday afternoon at plattsburg allowing the little platte is not roaring.

16. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Little platte is fine,very little if any current-however the wind might be a factor!Caught 6 eater channels on liver fri. morning by the closed bridge,didn't see any shad spawning

17. nkccatman

nkccatman New Member

State:
    mo
    Brothernlaw and i went out north of w bridge fri night and caught a few .We were using sunfish live and fishing the shore line in 2 to 3 feet of water with bobbers.Also had one line out with cutbait in 20 ft and got a nice one.It was the best night we had so far !

Attached Files: