Smithville Lake Last Saturday

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by moriver, Jul 22, 2009.

1. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is my general policy to only go to Smithville Lake durring the week, early in the moring or later at night. Well last weekend the kids wanted to tube and the wife was on their side so away we went. 10 A.M. on Satrday we got to the ramp. To start I did pick the worst ramp (I hope it is) by the golf course. Let me start by saying I am for the most part pretty easy to get along with but for LORDS SAKE........We pulled in and got the boat ready THEN went to the ramp. Well thats a new one for these folks. We waited at the ramp for Biff and Buffy to uncover the BAJA and load the cooler. The guy on the other side of the ramp was having trouble but I cut him some slack as he did not plan on it Im sure. I wont go into the fact that if these people would back in better you can launch 3 wide.... We got the boat on the water and I went to park the truck. Now this was a new one for me..... I had to drive in a circle to find a spot to park because clearly it now takes two parking spots to hold one truck and trailer. You know, dont want to scratch that pretty trailer...... SO back to the water. Now I know we are on the bottom end of the scale for most of these people as far as they are concerened. My jon boat and motor painted to match did turn some heads. I figure half of the people that were checking us out thought it was some kind of army boat and the other half were thinking "poor guy" they just did not know I was thinking the same thing about them...... Now we got the tube out and had a good time for the most part. We did have to avoid a few boats as they were clearly driving on the wrong side of the lake but I am sure they could not see me because of the boat color I guess. It could not have been that they were just brain dead and had no business driving a float tube much less a big block powered Baja. After a few hours we did decide to pack it up and on the way to the ramp figured out why I had been having trouble with people driving so close to us. I did not have my PIRATE flag up, silly me... Yes this other guy in a jon boat had a big PIRATE flag on a pole mounted to the front of his boat. I guess it made it easier for people to see him and they firured they should stay away or the guy would have taken the "beer and girls" from them as a proper Pirate would do.... I guess I need a flag also? I wont continue my ramblings as this is nothing new I know. I have just not been in the middle of hell for some time. When I put the boat away I did tell it I was sorry and that we would take a nice calm trip to Rosco or the MOriver soon...... And yes.....I do feel better now:wink:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah I can tell ya I've seen the same thing with all the "Sister Bertha Better-Than-You" People around.

We just got our dream house after all our adult lives of hard work and getting the kids raised and to the point in life where we're makin enough money to afford it -- just outside of the park where ya launched on Saturday is where we got our new house there in the Harborview subdivision.

I don't dislike the neighborhood but there is a degree of snooty-ness that makes me giggle frequently. We've only lived there for a month now so I gotta give it time I'm sure I'll figure out who's cool and who's a tool.

I've been really good lately and I don't want to have to pull out my "you ain't no better than me because you got ____________ " But Sunday a dude on a water gnat come a blastin up into the cove where me and my wife was bank fishin (over just North of the beach) and he almost got himself hurt.

He RUN RIGHT UP OVER MY DAMN SLIP BOBBERS! That's just plain bein' careless, I know they can use the excuse 'oh I was going too fast to stop and didn't see you guys on the bank there until it was too late' ----

They could just shut up after the 'oh I was going too fast to stop' part cause that's what the problem is:

famous obituary "He was going too fast to stop" and ran into the dam (etc)

Okay now I feel better too. Good thing my wife was with me Sunday I could have easily gotten into a lot of trouble.

3. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri

PM

4. ljensen

ljensen New Member

State:
    mo
    A guy has his wife back the boat down the ramp. Takes up the all the ramp. Not her fault she wasn't shown how. Motor won't start, after 10 min of grinding get out the pull rope. (60hp or bigger motor) Pulls kids right behind him. Gets motor started after holding the ramp up for 20 minutes.
    Come back to the ramp to load wife who take up 2 parking spaces and parks where she blocked someone else in. Stupid is not limited to Smithville Lake. Gotta had it to him tho he didn't loose his temper and then headed down river with a close to dead battery.

5. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    No doubt....I just make noise when it happens to me though.

6. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Scott you missed a good'n at Platte Falls. Talk about stoooopid:eek:oooh:, This guy had a Ford Ranger and a 18 foot john boat and tried to launch it with two foot of muck on the ramp, oh did I mention it was two wheel drive. Anyway I pulled him out with my pickup and he did it again this time jack=knifed the truck and boat on the ramp between the sides. I asked if he wanted any help and he didn't say a word.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kinda makes me feel a little higher on the food chain if you know what I mean. That river is rough from the ramp to the water. Dont bring a Knife to a Gun fight dad always said.....:eek:oooh:

8. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    NO SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    It always amazes me the things I see at the ramps, and not just Smithville. Just the other day at the Kaw I was starting to back down the ramp when a fella pulled his to the bottom of it, then sat there and unloaded the whole thing right there while his wife went to get the truck. Had to pull back off the ramp while they loaded it up in the back of the truck, loaded coolers and tied everything down. I coulda launched, parked, and been back in the boat before they even got loaded up. And since you mentioned the three wide thing up north, do it at your own risk. My ugly lil jon boat and I did it once when I got tired of waiting, had plenty of room and all that right down the middle, but man did it upset the others. Worried I'd leave a little green paint on the fiberglass I reckon. Oh, I could go on and on...Okay, one more bout the ugly jon. Since we all know they can take a beatin, my wife, brother , and I did put a lot of very expensive cruisers to shame at Tablerock cause we ain't afraid to get wet riding the 5' rollers. Talk about getting looks, but boy did we have fun out there!

10. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    yeah these ramps you CAN go three wide, but yer right and I'm never in that much of a hurry anyway cause my house is literally walking distance from them ramps. all be it quite a hike, literally walking distance. just google map 180th street, smithville mo 64089 and zoom in till ya see where the ramps are at Little Platte marina area. I live in the subdivision just outside the park.

Yeah I'm rubbin' it in. :big_smile: