Smithville Lake crappie

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Angler2007, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went to Smithville this morning for some crappie fishing. Tried Sail Boat Cove and only caught a few small ones. Then moved to the next one north of there. If you could stay on the schools of shad you could catch some crappie but they were picky. The only color I could catch them on today was white. They were suspended 10 - 15 down over 25 foot of water. Most of the people were struggling to catch fish but I wasn't one of them. I just had to weed through the small ones to catch any keepers. Water temp on the main lake was 41 and I took a stroll up the river arm and found some 46 degree water but it is quite muddy up that way. One things was for sure it was a gorgious morning to be on the water. Good luck to everyone who gets out during this nice weather!

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Water temp today was 44.7. Only thing I saw was a lot of big arches hanging around the shad. They where pretty too. Some nice dark blue ones and some yellow and red ones. Going to hit it after work tomorrow. The cats look to be stacked. Oh and the bait... the shad made the water look 10 feet shallower then it really was.

3. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Did you get out yesterday? I wanted to but I was stuck at work. Are you crappie fishing or cat fishing? Where is a good area on smithville to try and do some catfishing. I've only tried a couple of times with little luck. Good luck fishing.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I got a hot spot for bullheads:sad2: crappie have eluded me earlier this week...was pretty windy..won't be long..expect the white bass to make a run north in the next 2 weeks...walleye along the dam should spark up soon...shad in the shallows up north

5. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the report. The crappies I got on Monday were in the cove just north of Sailboat cove. I also got a report from a friend of mine that he did fairly well under the W bridge. I don't like fishing under the bridge. Might be able to get back out next Tues if the weather holds.

6. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dave give me a call and I will let ya know on the cats. Got a walleye spot or two also.May try to go this weekend and see what is up with the blues in Smithville.:lol:

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah I got out there windy as heck. Took awhile to get some bait but we ended up getting some shad. No fish though. We did get into a huge school of crappie's with the throw net. We had more then a couple limits. But you can't use them for bait so there still swimming. The switch in wind direction I think screwed up the fish I was marking the day before. Not near as many in the location. Shad where not as thick there either. Oh well take what you can get though.