Smithville Lake catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by wrs75, Mar 16, 2007.

1. wrs75

wrs75 New Member

State:
    mo
    just wondering when you think the catfish start hitting at smithville?

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    What type?
    Some heavy rains will get them going.

3. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They are biting now as we got into them a little today and caught several small channels and a blue that went 15 lbs on fresh shad in the north end of the lake. We fished 25 ft wqater and 5 ft water both and the bite was slow in all areas.Shad was not hard to get and will get easier as it gets warmer.

4. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Anyone planning on getting on the water this weekend? I will be on the lake Saturday, cold front and all. I am thinking the cats will stay down in the channel with the cold moving in. What do you think? Might they still move up shallow in the afternoon?

5. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    wrs75 - Catfish are hittin right now at Smithville, try the upper river after a good rain. This is the best time of the year for 'em specialy for the bigguns.

6. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The wind kept me off the water on Saturday. I did get up there on Sunday. Shad were realitively hard to come by but I did manage to net a few. Fished the upper north end for a couple hours, no bites though. Then packed up and went to the river and fished that afternoon. No bites there either.

Anyone else had any luck there in the past few days?

7. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can give a report now that the fishing contest is over on Smithville Lake today. I know the top 4 places caught most of their fish in the upper third of the lake and most of the winning teams caught their fish in 5 ft or less water depth. The bite today was a tender bite that you really had to work to get the fish to eat the bait.Shad was the best bait for 3 of the top 4 teams and biggest fish weighed in the 6 to 7 lb range. Most fish were caught in the stump fields fishing shallow.If you didnt loose some hooks you was fishing in the wrong places.I put 5 fishin the boat in the first hor and then the morning bite was over and we had to move and pick up a fish here and there. Around noon we found a good group of fish but the size was not helping us upgrade in the livewell, so we left them biting and moved to find a group of bigger fish. Fun day as we boated close to 2 dozen fish all day.

8. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I made it up there again yesterday. Level was down a bit. At one point I got stuck on a stump just below the surface. Took a bit of doing to get off of it. That was a first. I've never seen so many boats at the free ramp before. I think a lot, if not most, of those were crappie fishing. I did manage to get a couple of channel cats. One went 8lb 14oz. They are still up very shallow.

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    just a heads up,shad spawning all along the edges today.

10. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Were you up in the plattesburg area? I went crappie fishing sat. and Sunday and the water temp. in the Trimble area was around 62 but in the Little Platte Arm it was almost 70. Crappie fishing was awful both days hope to be back on the water this weekend.

11. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Yes, near Plattesburg. Don't know if the crappie fishermen were catching anything or not though.

12. limestoneworm

limestoneworm New Member

State:
    missouri
    fished in the little platte today. No luck. Does anyone know if they are letting water out at the dam?

13. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I went to the spillway yesterday and they were letting out a trickle. The water was up and it was neat standing above. Looked like where the MO and Miss River meet half stained / half clear. Very cool.. Small crappie and some carp being 'snagged' by people that didn't know it's 'muy mal.'