Smithville Lake blue catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Willy, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I talked to a buddy today and he said that his son had a good day catching blues in the stump flats on fresh shad last week. Said that they were about bloated on winter shad kill and pretty easy to catch.Dont overlook winter time for fishing up there as it is good and gonna get better as not many boats to fight also.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    My money says they were bloated due to being dragged up from 50 ft of water faster than their swim bladder could handle it. Hasn't been cold enough for any kind of shad kill - water temps still in the mid 40's. That might change if the weekend forecast holds though...

But I don't doubt this is a good time to find blue cats up on Smithville - was thinking the other day that it would be fun to go up there and see. Never fished the lake though so would have to spend some time studying a map...

3. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kinda hard to get something to bloat in less than 8 ft of water fishing stump flats. 50 ft water is kinda hard to find there and we do not fish it anyway. Befor you make assumptions ya need to look into more details and maybe go check it out for yourself to be qualified on saying anything about someone else`s fishing habits.

4. kansas bluecatter

kansas bluecatter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the info. This is the time of year that you should be able to catch Blues shallow and on the stump flats. Kansas Bluecatter:big_smile:

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    My apologies for making an assumption. Though it doesn't make any sense at all to me that blue cats would be up in the shallows like that with the cold water. (Actually, it doesn't make sense that the *shad* would be in the shallows - the blue cats will go where the shad are. Guess maybe the shad were up in the shallows looking for warmer temps?)

All I know for sure is that in a half dozen recent trips on Truman and Lake of the Ozarks, the entire water column has been empty of fish when the water is less than 30 ft deep.

So why is Smithville different? The climate is the same, the water temperature is nearly the same and the topography isn't that much different, though Smithville is on a much smaller scale.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Actually it makes perfectly good sence. It's the same reason why I've gone down to the upper end of LOZ and killed the fish in 2feet of water with the water temp around 42-45.....

7. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe

-Sorry I havn't been in the area this winter- So, there has been no shad kill all winter?? Have the lakes frozen over at all? Whats the coldest its been?

Also, if you never fished Smithville, be carefull running the lake, you kinda need to know the creek channels, its easy to throw a prop on barley submerged stumps up there. Might try and look for a good map, or follow someone else threw.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Yeah, but have you done that in the first week of January??

Maybe the fish are confused and think it's spring time already?

9. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is something we have learned over the years and also if you read about fishing Kerr Lake in Oklahoma that is what the locals do down there. We have had some good trips down there and used the info to apply it up here.On a shad kill it takes warmer water to make them float up off the bottom to be visible but if the water stays cold you might miss it.The fish don`t though.We have seen fish in 2 foot or less of water in the mild winters and if you are running fish out of shallow water set up and fish because you are missing some fun stuff. Takes some time for them to move back in but they will and its on then.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I was on smithville jan.30/31.We had a fairly heavy rain,which always turns the cats on a feeding frenzy.New years eve.I was catching channels on nightcrawlers.....bout 8 ft. deep in the channel off of a flat.Shad were busting all over.Cold front came in around noon...dropped 30 degrees and was snowing by 4 p.m.

11. talk2sampson

talk2sampson New Member

State:
    smithville mo
    Kyle, thanks for defending our country. Come home safe.