Smithville high water hurting fishing?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Rootwad, May 15, 2007.

1. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    I plan on hitting Smithville tomarrow after work. I live on the Platte, which it is now starting to go in its banks finally. I don't think the fish will bite for a while as the water is dropping fast. If Smithville is dropping will that hurt the fishing like on a river? If the cat's are not bitting how about the grappie? Anyone fishing Smithville today or yesterday? Thanks for any updates.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Smithville is about 6 foot high,won't drop till the dam opens,which may be a while.The cats have been feeding heavy for about 10 days now,crappie spawn was erratic before the rains,even more so now...lotsa shorts,but ya can't catch them in your livingroom :)

3. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went Sun. night and we caught some crappie but it was sporadic and they were all short but one. We decided right before dark to go try and catch a walleye. We did manage one which was barely legal but we did get one. I think I might try some more walleye fishing in the next couple of weeks. Good luck to all.

4. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    I did go out after work yesterday till dark. Launched by the marina. The wind kinda blew us around a little. We got back in a cove where the wind was calmer. Just caught a bluegill. Took a young boy, spent a lot of time undoing snags. That's all part of fishin. I plan to go again tonight, with hopefully a little calmer seas.

5. argel41

argel41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    FYI they started letting water out of Smithville today, about as fast as they can, I was in Smithville and the Little Platte is bank full, any more and it would be out.. probably last a week or two.:angry:

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
  7. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    Just got off the lake and the wind was a lot calmer than yesterday. Only fished for about 1 1/2 hours and manage to catch 1 nice channel and 2 crappies. My daughter caught another crappie. There was not much to the size of the 3 crappie. Had night crawlers and minnow. The fish only went after the minnows. Little Platte was running pretty good at Covered Bridge Rd. but you can't hardly tell the lake has dropped yet. Probably won't be able to get back on the water for a few days, got the kids sports stuff taking up the rest of the week and weekends.