Smithville Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by cheeseheadking, May 30, 2006.

1. cheeseheadking

cheeseheadking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went out last Thursday morning fishing at Smithville Lake, and got a couple good size cats. I got there about 8:30am, baited my hooks and put in. About 10 minutes later (just sat down and fired up a cig.) he grabbed my bait and ran hard with it. Fought him for a few minutes and finally got him ashore. I put him on the scale and he weighed in at 5 lbs and 11 ounces. About 30 minutes later had another one run with the bait. He weighed in at 4 lbs and 9 ounces. About 1 1/2 hours later without anything I called it a day. 2nd time out this year and starting out good.
    Happy fishing and good luck all

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    good job,I been catching a few on jigs crappie fishingnear the free ramp.Used to be a lot of smallville fishers posting,guess I'm about the only one left....:sad2:

3. Icemanxxxv

Icemanxxxv New Member

State:
    Smithville Missouri

NOt quite the only one left! Been out a couple of times last was yesterday. Cheeseheadking was the only catcher of a small channel cat. Talked to the fellas at Burtons. Been told the cats are heavy in the trees after the young Crappie, Did'nt have much luck in the flats or down on the bottom last time out. I really think the water temp is close to spawning time. Every cat I cleaned last Sunday was chalk full of eggs. No males to be had! Could be a sign of some slow fishing for awhile:beat_brick:

4. cheeseheadking

cheeseheadking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well we went out on Thrusday, was out for 5 hours and the only thing we caught was a 1 lb female cat. She was full of eggs. Oh yea I also caught a nice sunburn. I think your right, I think they are either getting ready to spawn or they are starting. We started out in sail boat cove, got a few bites, but nothing took. We went to the island later on and didn't get anything. We went back to the cove, got some more bites, and just that 1 hooked on. Very slow day. I bet they will really start bitting here in about 2 weeks. Everyone have a good day and good luck fishing.

5. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    What's up Cook? I'm lurking but, got a problem w/ my motor and moving next wk so i won't be fishing a whole lot. I'm also trying to spend time fishing w/ my dad and he live in Ottawa,ks.

6. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    iwent out 3 days last week . caught 3 near camp branch 5lbs each. saw one flathead caught at the free ramp 65 lber. giong to be a good year I can already tell

7. oldguy

oldguy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Moving to Smithville, hopefully within the next 60 days. Where is the "free" ramp? Can we use it when the refuge is closed?

Thanks

8. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    the free ramp is off of 240th st. 240 th is a gravel road on the northern end of the lake near plattsburg. the fishing has been very good there for me all year. good luck and if you need more help just yell

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Also off J hiway,short road,there is a spot where the old roas(short)just kinda dissapears in the water.

10. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    is that J highway off of C hwy

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    yepper,from c head west about 2 miles,on the right(north)

12. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    thanks for that info. ive been driving past j hwy every time. that would be quite a bit closer for me.

13. oldguy

oldguy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Cook\elalr,

Thanks for the info on the ramps. Look forward to using them and, hopefully, meeting you guys. Have to sell a house first....anybody planning on moving to Green Bay Wisconsin soon?