smithville dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by cook, Jan 13, 2008.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Started running a lot of water about 3 days ago,sidewalks underwater.I know in the summer it pulls some big flatheads all the way up outta the Mo. river.
    Any thoughts of the same happening in the dead of winter??

I'm guessing not,but who knows till ya try it.Lot of crappie being sucked thru and diying off,shame ya can't net them-seagulls are eating good!

2. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I've fished Smithville since they put the plug in her,when water runs like that the fish do come up from the river and you'd be amazed with the number of walleyes, cats and everything else is stuffed down there, oh yeah, and the large amount of spoonbill that come up from the river, and YES you can catch em ALL, just be careful who you tell:wink:

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Bob, I've seen the fish that come up there when it's running in the summer.... just wasn't sure what happens in this 34 degree water.

4. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    when it's that cold I'm not sure either, but I know one thing, the walley's that show up there after a few days of running are something else! I don't know about the cats though, cuz I never went after them that early, I'm in Springfield now and the guys are fishing truman everytime they get for blues and are having success but the water is not 30 some degrees either.

5. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I would think it would bring the walleye up and concentrate them with the water running. The white bass should also turn on along with any hybreeds if they are in the river.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I may just go up there for a couple of hours tomorrow and find out. It's amazing to me that fish would travel up that far from the Missouri River - it must be 30-40 miles - but I've seen enough spoonbill come out of there to know that they do

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I threw a jig and a spinner for about an hour today with only one little nibble. I think the water is just a little to cold. The air was pretty cold, too, but at least I had the place to myself. They are releasing about 600cfs, and like Cook :002: said, it's just enough to cover the sidewalks.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I didn't think it would pull them up in winter like the summer/fall-they already fattend up for the winter and are just surviving for now....I guess:0a28:
    Don't know unless ya try it.

Latest I caught a flathead up there was around halloween.

9. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    How are those fingers doing Cook after you tried playing surgeon with the saw.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yup, I was looking for a crappie or a white bass or two, but they just weren't interested.

11. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Has anyone ever heard of any big cats being pulled out of smithville?

12. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    There have been alot of large flats and blues taken in Smithville, mostly by trotliners though, you have a real tough time fishing it like you would in Truman cuz of the boat traffic!!! You must be up the river to stand a chance to fish and then you have all the timber to deal with, although, late fall and early spring you'd be alone on the lake, most of the guys I know or used to know up there are real tight lipped about all of it:sad2:

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've heard of a 70lb flat from a set line, and a 39lb blue on rod and reel. I've also seen some nice ones come out of the spillway. They are there, but I like the odds on the river a little better.

14. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I talked to some guys this summer that fish the north end all winter long and catch the heck out of nice channels. They are some reputable guys, so I don't doubt them. I've tried a few times with limited success. I think right now we should be thinking about ice fishing. BRRRR it is cold. :sad2: