smithland pool

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Cattoo, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    does anybody fish below the smithland dam? i have never been there but i have heard some good things. they are starting a hydro project at cannelton where i usually fish and bank access will be denied for at least 5 years. if anybody has any info on smithland, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Its been years since I have fished smithland but my family fishes it alot there are massive fish there they pull in very large cats reguraly

3. buckie02

buckie02 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to work at Smithland. I have watched the guys fish the boils when they weren't running much water, 20 feet and less on the gates, catch alot of fish. I have also been there and at lock 52 when people were killed. It can be pretty dangerous below the dams, the water will suck you back under the gates. There are also sunken barges below smithland, and somes rocks. I have caught some 20lb blues below smithland, but i've had 25, 40 and 50 above, near Bay City.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    If you don't do any good at Smithland, remember it's only about 15 miles from there to Ky. or Barkley dams.