Smithland Dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by dgilliam72064, Oct 17, 2007.

1. dgilliam72064

dgilliam72064 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Anyone want to tell me about fishing below smithland dam? Ive heard about it but never tried it. Any info on where to go (eddies, swift water, close to dam, near bank) and what to use ( dip bait, live bait, cut shad, liver) would really help. i love to fish rochester dam, i know that cant compare to smithland but it gives me an idea of what kind of fish i may catch. Also i would love to learn how to catch Walleye and Sauger. i dont even know where to go for them. i dont live too far from the strip pits at Paradise. you think maybe they are good options for fishing?

2. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Smithland sounds familiar where is it at?

3. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    Smithland Dam is up around Paducah Ky. I've never fished there but I would like to give it a shot too.

4. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I've heard its pretty good. I always take the left turn on I24 headed toward KY and Barkley dam instead of going right. Would love more information on it, I to want to fish it.

5. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    smithland dam is not a dam you take lightly. Lots of rock piles and bad water. good place for bigcats though.

6. KY King Kat

KY King Kat New Member

State:
    KY
    Smithland is THE dam to fish in these parts for large cats. However, it is extremely dangerous! On the KY half of the dam, no more than 100 yds back you can usually see birds standing on the rocks submerged by only inches of water. There are also sunkin barges that you have to worry about as well. I dont want to scare you from going, but I would watch what other boats out there are doing before I just run up to the dam.