Smithland Dam

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by IL_CATFISH, Aug 11, 2006.

1. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone fish the smithland area much? My parents have a place down by galconda and I was thinking of visiting and maybe trying to fish the area. Any advise would be a huge help.

Thanks,

Ryan

2. katmandu

katmandu New Member

State:
    Ky.
    Ryan,
    I don’t know if you will have a boat or not. Most people seem to like floating from up near the dam down about 200 yards or so. I have good luck dropping anchor up near the rock pile just below the dam and fishing the drop off for blues. I use cut bait, skips, shad, or carp for the blues. I’ll be back to that area around the 16th or 17th depending on the weather.

Anyone doing any good night fishing for flatheads in the Smithland area or up the Cumberland from the Ohio?

3. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've got a boat but I dont know if its big enough to take up around the spillway. I will have to check it out and maybe give it a try.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    if you have to ask that question bout boat being big enough ,then you need to ask yerself if your comfortable in it , i wouldnt take mine out if i was scared for any reason i use it in the ohio river all the time and sometimes the wind and other boats wakes make me nervous i have seen times when i just pull to the bank and thank God and ask him to help me get thru iv had mine in some ruff waters and still pulled thru even had 4 people in mine and all my gear and water over my feet in the pooring rain but still i managed , it still scares me from time to time even when im alone i have a 16' river jon lol still get nervous....dont put yerself in danger if you dont have to fish are fun but aint worth the loss of yer life ...good luck

5. katmandu

katmandu New Member

State:
    Ky.
    If you put in at the Smithland ramp you can see the dam. Stay to the right side as you go to the dam, it’s not bad at all. The rock pile is pretty close to the dam and between two channels but a lot of the water below it on the east side is real good fishing, if the bite is on, and smoother water. I use a pontoon boat when I fish up closer to a dam. I see a lot of small boats in places I would not go, sometime the water flow can change without notice. If you use your head, in a clear state of course, you should be fine.

Anyone doing any good for flatheads in the area, or up the Cumberland?

6. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for all the advise guys. Its been really helpful. I have never fished the area but my parents have a place down there and I am wanting to go looking for the big boys the next time I take my boat down. Right now I have a 16' deep hull flat jon. Its nice and sturdy but I only have an old evinrude 25 horse on it. I almost think that if I started to get sucked in or something I would be better off abondoning ship and making a swim for it :lol: . Damn, i gotta get a new boat!

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Smithland is not a dam to take lightly, be careful and watch your depth finder.

8. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would never take a damn of its magnitude lightly.

9. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Good, you should be in good shape then.

10. azfshn23

azfshn23 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    no not really, it;s been years

11. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Smithland Dam can be a lot of fun, you can catch many fish, but it can also be dangerous; Smithland Dam is the only place I fish where I wear a life jacket full time, as does anyone else in the boat with me. If your motor isn't really reliable (starts on the first or second try), don't go. Keep a sharp knife handy for the anchor rope; anchors are cheap, life isn't.

Hope you have a safe and productive trip.