Smithland dam, anyone doing any good?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by katmandu, Jul 30, 2007.

1. katmandu

katmandu New Member

State:
    Ky.
    I have not been to Smithland this year, but did well below the dam and the mouth of the Cumberland before. Any one been lately care to give a report on how/where the bite is and if the shad/skips are around. I have sometimes had problems getting bait at Smithland. I may go Tue or Wed Just looking for up to date info.

2. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i don't know how the skips are at smithland but they are everywhere below cannelton right now so they should be there as well. as for shad, they are still babies right now 1/2 to 1 inch.

3. katmandu

katmandu New Member

State:
    Ky.
    Thanks for the info Cattoo. We went Tuesday afternoon and stayed all night. The skips were plentiful and easy to catch. We caught a couple 3-5 pound channels at the mouth of the Cumberland but not much action there. We moved up to the dam where the current was better. Two hours or so with not one bite then a small blue. About half an hour latter, around 10pm a big one hooked up. Nice fight in the current and 53 feet of water. It was a blue weighed 57lbs 5oz. Fished the rest of the night with not another bite.