Smith & Wesson SW40V

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Flatheadhunter33, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I saw this gun in my local exchange today for $380.00 out the door. Is this a good price for this gun. The guy behind the counter told me that folks either hate it or love it...any one have an opinion? Thanks for the help.

2. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I've never owned one but from what I've seen on the internet that sounds like a good deal.

3. boredinaz

boredinaz New Member

State:
    az
    i bought the 40 sigma series a little under a year ago. i believe i paid about 320.00 however i have a family friend who owns the shop so i got a little bit better of a deal. i must say i absolutely love the gun. probably about 2 thousand rounds out of it and not a single jam or problem. i also have a friend who bought the 9mm version and he loves his and hasn't had any problems with his either. hope that helped

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I would keep on looking for another gun. S&W semi-autos are not that great. Their triggers are terrible. That is the one draw back of the weapon, but it is a big one to me. I traded BOTH of my S&W .40's off as soon as I found someone who wanted them. I would consider either a Beretta 92 or a 1911. There is a reason that the Army went with these weapons. They are dependable, good triggers, and easy to fix.
    Glocks are also good, but they feel cheap in my hands. BUT THEY CAN SHOOT, and I have one. It has never malfunctioned. But neither has my 1911

5. mazepa

mazepa New Member

State:
    Florida
    I totally agree with FishHauler. Went to the range with a S&W Sigma 9mm. Felt pretty good at first. After about 50 rounds I couldn't even pull the trigger in any more. It was so tight that it wore out my finger muscle. To finish the last 50 rounds I had to use 2 fingers.

And with such a tight trigger it was throwing my aim off during the squeeze. Shot a different S&W that same week and had the same problem. I never want to shoot another one. JMHO:wink:

6. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I agree with you guys about most S W s, but, the SW99's are walther triggers and mine (walther p99, same as SW99) has a very light trigger. The price is almost double, like with the berettas & colts, etc. You get what you pay for, personaly I prefer revolvers, JMHO

7. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the input guys! Im still kind of on the fence about the gun myself. I was initially looking to buy a Taurus judge but both of the local dealers here have a waiting list that is about a year long:crazy:...

8. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    Go with the judge over S&W you wont regret it!!!!!!!:wink:

9. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I would absolutely love too:0a32:! My problem there is that (from what I am being told) they are so popular right now that if I order one, Im gonna have a long, long wait in front of me....

10. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    Check out gun brooker.com or guns of amercia .com good places to start looking.:wink:

11. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was wondering how that works. If I try to order through an online dealer, do they sell directly to me or do they send it to a local dealer who verifies my credentials? If they send it to a local dealer will I get to pay the online dealer's price or do I end paying the local's marked up price?

12. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    YOU pay the on line price or what price it is when the bidding is done then most of them what you to have shipped to someone with a FFL license usally they charge $20.00 to $ 30.00 to do the transfer pretty simple .

13. Jasongonefishing

Jasongonefishing New Member

State:
    McDonough,
    I own a S&W M&P 9MM and have put 250 rounds through it and never had any issues. Regarding the trigger it is a semi-auto and has a medium trigger. I can get 17 shots of basically as fast as I can pull the trigger. Very accurate gun at about 2" grouping at 25 yards.

14. spawnallica

spawnallica New Member

State:
    Texas
    You can install an after market trigger spring for the S&W 40v. It will speed up the slow trigger pull, but it wouldn't be a gun that I would recommend.

15. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Just to throw my 1/50th of a dollar in. If you're after a .40, give a look to the Kahr T-40. It's DAO so you get the same trigger pull each and every time. I have a T-9 and love the little gun...perfect for CC. Again, just my thoughts.

16. Mosin

Mosin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    With only a $2 striker spring, a drimel and some know how your can the the trigger pull to about 6lbs. The pull is so heavy because glock sued S&W and they had to change a few things, i.e. adding some springs, That can be taken out.

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i used to own a 40 cal s&w sigma and sold it and bought a glock.The trigger is horrible,it has a long trigger pull and it is stiff buddy .Save your money bro you will be glad you did.

18. foley4026

foley4026 New Member

State:
    erlanger ky
    i have a 40 s&w the model number is a 4026... one good thing about the 40 cal. with s&w is that they gaurantee the barrell for life. i have shot a heck of alot of guns but i have never shot anything that is as nice as these...