smith to end of line

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by JERMSQUIRM, Oct 5, 2008.

what do you think of smith being placed in 18th and crossed the line 1st

1. won

2. 2nd

3. or agree with nascars call

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well im 100% in disagreement with nascars bogas call at the finish.

sure smith didnt deserve the win I GUESS due to the rule. but to say he should have slowed and gave a position back 200' from the line is BS. in that case then tony should be sent back for agressive driving because his shove / block forced him down.

and fri in the truck race or earlier today i cant remember i swear i heard someone say last lap anything goes.

anyhow. im sure if it were JR or jimmie or gordon this poll would end different but what do ya think? should smith's 2nd be back to tale end in your opinnion?

i feel since his win was denounced he should have been placed in second. for god sakes alive at 200mph and going for his first win that call stank.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jeremy, I dont know for sure and havent heard an explanation by NASCAR but I'm going to assume they are going to say he wasn't forced below the line because he could have taken the high line. In fact he feinted that way in attempt to get Stewart to come up off the bottom.
    In other words he had a clear line he could have taken that wasn't below the line.
    He gambled and lost.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I believe the ruling is if you pass out of bounds and dont give back that position, you get a black flag for a stop and go penalty in the pits. Since it was the last lap, he gets sent to the end of the line of the lead lap cars.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    true to both but i disagree with the whole deal on the last lap. come on. he took the bottom and tony force him down. sure he could have taken the high line.

now if it was me. next time. tony would get the Pit Maneuver. pi$$ on nascar. next time if they want to make a bs call. hold the line wreck everybody and take the checkers. if the fans pi)) and moan. say "remember last time when i didnt wreck every one and got scr$%ed?"

nascar needs to evaluate that rule. the last 300' is go time not nit pick sh^*!.

that was the worst mistake ive seen in a while to send a guy to last. he said i could have wrecked everyone. and to expect a guy to lift and "hold his position" on the final 300' is as dumb as the folks that expected kyle bush to let jr win at richmond instead of trying to win. to many greedy money hungery folks are forgetting this is a race. not a "o i hope i get in the top 10 and dont scratch my car race". mark i know you are a grass roots race fan. and you cant agree with this new BS nascar is doing. the lucky dog rule sucks, the chase sucks and this be nice racing sucks.

that call to send smith to the end because he wanted to win about set me to the watching NO sport mood. no explination will change that. i know what the rule says. but nascar is famous for bending rules for golden boys. and tossing tape cautions for the top drivers. yet carl got fined for hitting JR after a busch race. yet in cup busch didnt get fined for hitting carl after bristol. make em up as we go racing. today it was made in bad taste. had that been #88. oh well give him second. regan smith. oh he goes to the back. pi$$ poor call IMO.

the rule states. if your forced below he line if you give the position back in a reasonable amount of time you wont be penalized. but they forgot about the "what if it happens in the final 500' scenarieo". and it happened. and the result just stinks. like i said. these drivers need to remember this. and next time wreck the field. and get right out of the car and tell the reporters. "i wrecked them on pourpose cause nascar would have sent me to the back"!"

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    If it happens again Smith knows what to do...Wreck the whole dam field! That was an ignorant call. Sure Smith chose to go to the bottom but Tony DID force him below the yellow line. I like Smoke but I didn't agree with Nascar's call. Too much politics and not enough racing!!!

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I cant believe people still pay to watch the crap?:eek:oooh:

7. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree, they should take the "out-of-bounds" rule out of the equation. Most of the tracks dont have that rule

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I think since it was very subjective if he was forced down or not they should have let him retain second.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  10. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Guess we would have to been at the pre-race drivers meeting to know for sure.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    guess them announcers need to rule up on the books as well. i have found that it WAS the truck race where they said last lap its legal. and in cup they did too. listen to andy petree.

[youtubevid]vyB9SqzovCs[/youtubevid]

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i still think its BS. nascar said that smith went below the line with 2 tires before tony drove to block. but the video shows the oppisite. smith had a good run and was pulling to his door. tony made a quick snap to the left were regan would have been hit had he not turned down. thus "forced" him down to avoid a crash. another black flag rule. you cannot force a driver down to stop a pass. looks to me like he did IMO. i think it stinks.

heres a quote from helton.

"During the last lap of [Sunday's] race at Talladega Superspeedway the driver of the No. 01 violated NASCAR policy by driving under the yellow line to improve his position. In NASCAR's opinion he was not forced below the yellow line. NASCAR correctly took immediate action to enforce the policy by penalizing the No. 01 [Smith] and scoring the No. 20 [Stewart] as the race winner.

heres the article.

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/opinion/10/07/cross.words.talladega/index.html

but to me the video shows the exact oppisite. shows tony drive down hard to make sure he was on the line to force regan
    below. wich is also a violation of the rules stated in the article. that if you force the car below the line to stop a pass you are to be black flagged. i think tony should have been in 17th with regan lol.

i dont like the call but money mike has said to "move on" lmao.

hopefully driver take note. from now on just drive down if they try and pass you. and if they do just wreck them lol. to me thats what nascars saying. they said regsn should have lifted. ya. if heltons fat butt was in the car he might think different. guess gibbs waved the biggest check in the air at the checkers. lol.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    seems like its close with agree and 2nd. more i watch and pause frame by frame. Tickes me off more and more. regan had a 1/4 fender on him when tony came down. bumped the front and smith was still ABOVE the yellow. till his fender was bumped. i dont hate tony. but i really think with the rules. tony forced him down to stop the pass. wich is also a black flag move.

tony got beat.:wink:

14. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    from what I have observed, looks as if Regan should have won that race.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    heres what dale jr had to say about the smith pass.

Junior thinks Smith won Talladega

Dale Earnhardt Jr. once used a questionable pass below the yellow line to beat Matt Kenseth at Talladega.

Looking back at that 2003 victory, Earnhardt can't figure out what he did differently than Regan Smith did last week at the same track. Smith's last-lap pass of Tony Stewart was below the out-of-bounds line and ruled illegal, which denied Smith his first victory.

"It was exactly the same. I was forced below [the yellow line] and that was declared OK," Earnhardt said.

"I know for a fact Regan didn't go down the front straightaway with a plan to pass [Stewart] on the apron. He was under [Stewart] on the racetrack when Tony came down and he was forced onto the apron."

Earnhardt strongly believed that NASCAR wronged Smith by ruling his move Sunday was illegal.

Smith ducked below the yellow line to pass Stewart, returned to the racing surface and crossed the finish line first. But NASCAR doesn't permit passing below the line, but occasionally makes an exception if officials believe the driver was forced onto the apron.

Officials said they did not believe Stewart forced Smith under the line, but Earnhardt disagreed.

"What is unclear is what being forced below the yellow line is," Earnhardt said. "In my opinion, [Smith] was forced below the yellow line. The two did make contact. He was on the inside of Tony. In my opinion [Smith] wins the race. I feel like Tony did what he had to do. In the car, everyone would have done what Tony did and everyone would have done what [Smith] did.

"What's curious is, when are you forced? Show me some video of what's forced and what's not."

and look at 5:06 on the video.

[youtubevid]HeVUUxb2drg[/youtubevid]

jr won and was forced below just like smith. nascar blew it.