Smith Mtn Lake Striper Report

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by CatsNstripers, Jun 22, 2009.

1. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I havent been after Catfish much here latly, but the Stripers I have on Smith Mtn Lake, so i thought I'd throw a report on here for you guys.

After the Spawn the stripers have spread out and it seems like the entire lake. But some spots better than others. I havent been to the dam (other than artifical fishing) so i cant report from there. Most of the creek arms on the lake are holding fish around the mouth, large coves aswell. I'm finding fish over various water depths but the fish seem to mostly be hanging around 15-40ft of water. Close your searches in on humps and points and were creek channels meet the river channel.

Theres been some scattered busting and scattered large schools. But they can show up at anytime and various times. Just being in the right spot at the right time is the main thing. But chances are if you graph and large school, you can bet that school will bein the same area the next day or later that day. But you'll just have the find them. Of corse when you hit that school you can have every rod go down at one time. Most of the fish are averaging around 8-12lbs with a number of fish in the mid to high teen lb range and 33-36inchs. I havent caught a striper over 20lbs this June yet.

I've been fishing with bait mostly. Pulling and assortment of planers, floats and downlines. up to 6planers, 2 floats and 4downlines. The planers and floats i've been running 20-30ft of freeline beind the boards or floats. I'll also put a 3/8ounce rubber core sinker on some of the freelines to help cover the water column. I'm Running my downlines 20-35ft. Using an assortment of Gizzard shad and Alewives. Mixing it up on the boards and floats until i find what is working the best. Downlines i mostly stick with alewives.

When the fish bust or you hit that large school. Have you something tied on for everyone in the boat to be able to cast or jig with. Casting to busting fish normally anything will work. Typcially though stick with a 1/2jig head and fluke, Swamp munkey or any type of surface plugs. Redfin, thunderstick etc. For jigging on stripers.. Normally I go with either a 3/4ounce Hopkins spoon or a 1/2-3/4ounce jig head with a fluke body. Remember when Jigging to use a split ring and small swivel attached to your lure to not cause line twist, which weakens the line.

I've seen some folks pulling Umbrellas Rigs and I've heard that bite is doing ok to, but i just aint bit the bullet for heavy tackle and lead core yet.. Also the Plugging nite bite is slowing down for stripers and bass i hear. With most of the stripers and bass moving off the banks and into deeper water and with the alewives and shad finishing up with there spawn. We hit the lower lake Thursday night with thundersticks and did, OK on the smaller stripers. I've been seeing alot of Blacklights on Bassboats so i guess they've switched from plugs to worming..

Heres a few pics, enjoy...

Attached Files:

2. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Excellant report Travis! Thanks for the information and the pictures!

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the post and pictures. That's one happy lady there. Keep the reports coming.

4. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I forgot to mention, did ya'll notice her shirt?

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Nice work and nice shirt too! Way to represent.

6. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Sounds like some good fishing, thanks for the report Travis.
    I hope I can get out soon,the water has been really nasty lately.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Those are some nice stripers.