Smith Mtn. Lake flathead catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by 01 Mudslinger, May 29, 2007.

1. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    GONNA HEAD TO SMITH MOUNTAIN FRIDAY NITE TO TRY SOME FLATTIES, DONT REALLY KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE LAKE AS FAR AS FISHING SO LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE ON WHERE TO GO, REALLY APPRECIATE IT GUYS.

2. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Smith mtn has always been known more for its bass and striper fishing. Over the years I have caught a few channel cats out of the lake but that is about it for me anyway. You would be better off to hit 501 and head down to BUGGS ISLAND IF YOU WANT TO SLAY SOME KITTIES. They pull em out 20-40 lbs on a regular basis in that neck of the woods! Just out of curiosity are you any kin to Owen Dalton from that same area?

3. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    thinking bout maybe doin that, if i put in at staunton river state park and fish the river what kinda luck could i possibly have, once again i know nothing about buggs island either, so any help there would be appreciated also. Not sure on the owen dalton, its a possibility he could be my grand dads cousin or something maybe, who knows.

4. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I was down at Buggs about two weeks ago, we fished from a boat from about 10pm-1am, the lake right below the point (probably 800 yards) from where the cabins are located at the state park on the Dan side and boated 6 Blues (c&r)average of about 10-12 lbs. Missed hook ups on twice that number to boot, fished both live and cut bream and all the hits were on the cut bait, no flatties on this trip. Just be careful if boating of the numerous sand bars and skinny water in that area. I hope to get back down there again within the next couple of weeks.

5. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you go to buggs and put out at staton,fish from there to the RR trussel,use live bait and cut bait,you could get you a dozen of gold fish they work pretty good. 1bigblue:cool2:

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    They have been catching Flatties at the upper end of Smith Mtn. in the Roanoke River.

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Other than the public boat ramp at Hardy across from Bay Roc, do you of any places to bank fish up on the Roanoke river arm?

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Best of luck to you!!!

9. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    Your odds at the state park are pretty good. Put in a little time and it can be productive. Flathead bite is better around dark and after. Just watch where you run the boat for flats and trash. If u need more detail shoot me a PM.

10. screamin clicker

screamin clicker New Member

State:
    Burlington North Carolina
    if you put in at staunton park becareful in any direction you go until you learn the area, it`ll cost you a lower unit if you`re not. the staunton river is shallower than the dan side and up in the mouth of the staunton is a big rock under the surface :crazy: lots of nice flatties in the area u hafta decide the risk and reward