Smith Mtn. Lake Bank Fishing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by flathead willie, May 7, 2007.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yesterday I drove around the Franklin Co. side of the lake after striking out at Bay Rock Marina area. Once again, I couldn't find a place to fish from the bank. I finally wound up back at the State Park where I got skunked again. Does anyone know a decent place to throw a line from land at this lake?

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Take 122 to 616 towards scruggs, turn right on dudley amos road and near the end turn left at the public boat landing. Doesn't look like much, but at the top of the parking lot there is a path that goes down to the lake and there are a couple of nice spots to fish around the point. Don't ussually catch any real big ones but alot in th 1-3# range. Let me know next time your going. I just got back from claytor and the hybrid stripers are tearing up shad. caught 4 small ones and lost a really nice one right at the bank, probably 10#. Also caught some small channels. How did you do at the state park? I've never fished there.

3. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Franklin County and the State are supposed to be working on a park with a fishing pier to open some time this year. Don't know the time table or the progress, if I can find some more info I'll post.
    Greg

4. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    This is what I found:

The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) announced today that it will be using up to $80,000 of Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration funds to help Franklin County complete construction of a fully accessible fishing pier at Smith Mountain Lake Community Park. The 100 ft. long pier will be the only publicly accessible fishing pier on the southern side of Smith Mountain Lake. The pier's location along the main channel of the Roanoke River will allow for anglers to pursue striped bass, largemouth bass, catfish, and panfish

Smith Mountain Lake Community Park is a 37-acre site located in the Scruggs Community within the Park Place Development. The land is owned by the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation and leased to Franklin County. The park is scheduled to re-open for public use in May 2007. Facilities that will open, in addition to the fully accessible fishing pier, include a 1.5 mile hiking trail, a comfort station, the park road, a parking lot that can accommodate 20 vehicles, and the Rocky Mount and Smith Mountain Lake Rotary Clubs Playground.

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I just checked out Franklin co parks website, that looks like it will be a nice park. It's about time something like was done. The pier looks especially cool:smile2:

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks guys. I need to try some new places. The state park is being over fished I think.