Smith Mt. Lake flatheads

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by odominioncatter, Feb 7, 2006.

1. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    Anyone have any luck witht the Smith Mt. Lake flatheads? Caught some good fish last year (got skunked some too) but I didn't run across anyone else catfishing (flatheads)there.

2. Yellowboat

Yellowboat New Member

State:
    carolina
    i wonder what the record is for a flat head is up there

3. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    We got a 45 last year. A fella got a 50lb flattie on a limb line on the lower arm as well last year. That is the largest that I have heard of..............

4. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    I've never fished SML for Flatheads, but I know they there. Seems like everyone fishes for Stripers and those LM bass, lol, which is good for people like you and me, but I lack the boat, so i guess for people like you, lmao..

Do you mainly fish for flatheads on the upper end of the lake?

5. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    Yes,
    We fish the Roanoake River Arm (upper lake). I tell you in 2 and a half years I have never encountered one boat out fishing for the flatties. SHHHHHHH!

But the flatheads are really funny. Sometimes we get skunked and sometimes we are jumping from rod to rod all night.

6. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Do you use bream/bluegill or smallmouth bass while at SML fishing for the Flatheads? I've heard the James River has took a real hit to the Smallmouth Bass population due to the Flatheads.I don't know if I'll be down that way anytime soon but any 411 would be greatly appreciated. I was down there for stripers in 1993 with a couple of buddies and hadn't been back since then. It is a beautiful lake. With any luck, I'll take my 13yr son down there in the next couple years before girls get in the way of fishing. Thanks again and we'll see you on the water soon---jonnycat

7. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    Hey Johnnycat,

The bluegills will work fine. I would target 10-15 ft around heavy structure during spring/summer/fall.
    The night bite always seems better.

ODC

8. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Does Smith Mountain Lake have blues in it too? I love to catfish and I dont live far from Sm. Mountain. I fish Kerr pretty regurlary for Blues.

9. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    Yes, SML has blues, channels, and flatheads.. I just got a bit of information today that I was unaware of. Leesville Reservoir has flatheads too. I never knew this. I got this response from the VDGIF today..

Leesville supports a very good catfish population. There are four species of catfish plus bullhead catfish in Leesville Reservoir. The four major species are channel catfish, white catfish, flathead catfish, and blue catfish. There are plenty of channel and white catfish and they are the most dominant species. Flatheads do get to large sizes and there is a good number of them in the lake. Blue catfish are the least abundant and we have not seen the real big blues like in some other Virginia waters.

Dan Wilson
    VA Dept of Game & Inland Fisheries
    1132 Thomas Jefferson Road
    Forest, VA 24551

So I assume SML would have all of the above species present in it waters. I grew up less than a mile from Leesville dam and never heard of anyone catching flatheads there. I may have to investigate this claim when the weather get's a tad bit warmer...

10. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Swiftwater,
    When the weather allows I'm gonna plan a trip for your area. Maybe we get together and give them a try. Keep the 411 coming. We lived in Moneta(sp) during 67-69 in Bedford County. My father preached at Radford Baptist Church close to the prison. I was through there a couple years ago but I want to spend some time on the lake to camp and fish. Later for now---jonnycat

11. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    jonnycat, i'm no good when it comes to catfishing the lakes.. i mostly flathead fish the staunton river from the dam to brookneal area. i'm going to purchase a 14 jon boat with a 25hp motor friday, and plan to fish leesville res. this summer since it has little boat traffic, so my 14 footer in coves should be aight. this will be a learning experience for me..

12. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    odominioncatter,

needed another post to reply.

Swiftwater,

VDGIF does not mention blues in SML, but does mention whites. Don't know have not caught anything other than channels yet.

13. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    someone get with me about the smith. im thinking about going up there this summer.

14. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for setting the record straight.I've lived 18 miles from SML for 10 years never heard of Blues there.I hate that place.FISH ON :)

15. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    Bog, thanks for the clarification. I assumed they were present in the lake since they are present from Leesville Res. down to Buggs. I have caught a
    few channels from SML too. I agree SML is more of a tourist attraction these days. Now if you're fishing for the 2 legged long and slinder type it's a trophy fishery, lol..