Smith Mountain Water Report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BoG, Jul 1, 2006.

1. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    Wen't out on Smith Mountain this morning. Water is as high as I have seen it. Up maybe 5 feet from two weeks ago. If it gets any higher boats will be sitting on top of their docks and slips. Water temp before 9am was 79.4 degrees and green. Striper fished from Becky and Bettys down to Strawberry Banks area through the s-turns. Lots of bait marked but not much else.

Bo

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Any word on how the cats are hitting out there, Bo? I was wanting to try up near Hardy area or the State Park. What's your advice?

3. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    hearing of a few eating size but nothing big enough for bragging. I've had stripers on the mind and haven't tried for the cats yet. Water is fairly clean at the state park as of this morning, I don't know what Hardy looks like, but alot of buds love to cat up there. Probably one of the better areas of the lake for flatties.

Bo

4. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I hit the bank at the State Park last night but didn't doo too well. Mostly stumps!. Caught a couple nice eating size kitties. Lost about 20 ounces of lead. A few other people out there got some more eaters but nothing to brag about. Tried Shrimp for the first time and got several good hits but kept getting snagged on the stumps.

5. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    Flathead Willie,

Have you ever tried the lindy sinkers? I switched to those for carolina rigging several years ago and havn't lost one yet. they aren't cheap, but might be worth a try at the park for one outing. www.lindyfishingtackle.com/pages/nosnagg.shtml

Just a thought.

Thanks for the report.

Bo

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the library also has some good ideas for flexible lead. it easy to make and cheaper than the lindy's

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I think what was happening is after we hooked the fish they were running around the stumps or under roots. A few times we could feel the fish after the snag but couldn't reel them in. A couple times we let the line go slack and the fish would pull it out but when we tried again to reel it in we could only get it so far and hang up again.
    We were useing 3/4 ounce egg sinkers above a bead, a swivel, 18 inch leader and kayle hooks.
    We did have alot of good bites on shrimp which suprised me. I've tried them in the upper james River with no luck at all.