Smith Mountain Lake

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by riverdawg-1, Feb 25, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I fished smith mountain last night and actually caught some cats. Nothing big. I caught a 1.5 channel and a 3 pound channel, but my biggest surprise was 11 small flatheads, 10-17 inches, I caught all on cut shad. The water temp is around 40 so the flats really surprised me. Anyone else done any catfishing at sml or elesewhere?

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Also meant to add. The only one I kept was the 3# channel and its belly was full of crawdads, all the flats looked like they could not eat anymore, but didn't keep any so not sure what they are feeding on. The area I was fishing was loaded with small,3-4 inches, shad. I just put about 100 shad in the freezer for future bait. I caught about 150 shad with 10 or 12 throws.

3. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey Chip,would you mind sharing where you caught the shad at.I striper fish there alot and was thinking of going this week.I usually put in at Moormans or the Hales Ford Bridge.Anything you can tell me would nice to know.We don't live bait fish,but where there is shad there is stripers.Thinking about trying the S turns going toward the dam.Thanks

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Chris, I was way down on the Blackwater side of the lake. I was staying at one of my parents friends lake house. Not exactly sure how to get there by water, on a map I was at the of emerald cove, near Mariners landing and not too far from State park. I ussually put my boat in at Hardy. If you go to linville creek there is ussually shad and stripers in the area, or if not right across the lake from linville there are 2 smallish coves and the point between them can be good. If I remember right linville is the first major creek on the right{from Hardy} after the train trussell.