Smith Mountain Lake

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WHEELMOBILE07, Feb 1, 2007.

1. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Does anyone target stripers this time of the year at SML. Been wanting to try maybe a mix trip targeting stripers and blues. Any help would be appreciated?

Wheelmobile07

2. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    This VA lakes thread is always awful quiet, mabe the people that fish Kerr, SML, and Philpott just don't have the internet or something.

Wheelmobile07

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well, I will try make trip to SML this summer. I just wonder any good spots fishing for catfish??? Thanks

Andrew

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A Canadian friend just made a trip down to Smith Mountain lake within the last couple of weeks. Hired a guide and limited out on striped bass. Think his biggest was about 12 pounds. Supposed to be an excellent lake for stripers.

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Its been a while since i regularly fished sml for stripers, but with the weather finnally getting cold, target them with white bucktails or big sassie shad. Also live shad freelined always will catch them. as far as the blues i don't know. Also agree with Wheel, where are the VA fisherman? I never hear anything about phillpot on here. I used to camp alot at horseshoe point and catch tons of small flatties and a few channels, does anyone know if there are blues in phillpot? Ive never caught one there.

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Smith Mountain used to have a great population of big stripers, but a parasite killed most of the big ones about 3 years ago. That spring and summer there were huge dead stripers everywhere. From what I'm hearing they are making a good comeback. 8-10 years ago our average striper was around 12-15 pounds.

7. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Never caught much at Philpott but channels and bullheads, but in the last 3 years i've heard of 3 blues over 40#, biggest being 56#. Love to have someone to fish it with this year when I put boat to water. Anyone have ponds to fish and don't have a boat for them e-mail me; I've got a neat little Pelican 2 man boat for small water.
    Later, Greg

8. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I will definately be going to philpott this year to target some kitties, hopefully from a boat but I will fish the banks too if I have too.

Wheelmobile07

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Hey gtva, talked to a guy at a pond that I fish at occasionally, he said that he caught 3 flatties over 20lbs out of the martinsville resevoir this summer.

Wheelmobile07

10. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Now that is news. I wonder who snuck flats into the reservoir? Just hope they don't decide to close it to the public with the budget cuts. I'll give a yell when the weather warms up a little and we can give it a shot some where.
    Greg

11. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Were here we just don't have much to say about SML except it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1bigblue:crazy:

12. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Give me a holler sometime gtva, Id like to hit up the martinsville resevoir in that little two man you have. See what type of kittie action is really going on there. If you are interested when it heats up let me know. I work second shift, but im off different days of the week and every other weekend. Just pm me.

Wheelmobile07